1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should i apply to Grad School

1. Oct 23, 2008 #1
    I have a 3.5 math gpa. I didn't do too well my first three semesters of college. However i got straight A's from my second semester of sophomore year on. I received a B in analysis and complex analysis and a C in my abstract algebra class. However I also took the graduate level versions of these classes and received A's in them. I got a 950 on the math subject Gre and 800 quant and 610 verb on the general gre. What are my chances of getting into a grad school. Does anyone have a suggestions about which ones i should apply to?

I've also done two years of research, dealing with mathematical economics

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2008 #2
    Oh here is more information.
    I double majored in mathematics and economics.
    I have a 3.9 gpa in economics. I've taken two semesters of graduate level real analysis, two semesters of graduate level algebra and a semester of graduate level complex analysis.
    I received my degrees from UC berkeley.

4. Oct 23, 2008 #3
    Well, you have a better GPA than I did, and I got into grad school. Granted, I'm doing my PhD in physics, so I don't know if there's a difference. But to answer your question, I'd say yes, you should apply to grad school. If all of your bad grades were in the lower level courses, this means you've shown improvement, and could make a successful grad student. My case was much the same. I did abismally in my first two years of physics, but very well in the upper division classes. I've managed to get a much better GPA in grad school (3.46), and recently even passed the written qualifier. So why not apply and see what happens?

5. Oct 23, 2008 #4
    If you already have 4.0 credit in graduate level complex and real analysis and abstract algebra then you should definitely go to grad school in math.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?