Should i be worried? (UV lamp wavelength)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use and calculation of color temperature in determining the color of light emitted by various sources. It is also noted that color temperature does not necessarily correspond to the peak wavelength of light emitted. A specific UV lamp from Walmart is mentioned, with concerns about its intensity and potential hazards of exposure to its radiation. The conversation also touches on the purpose of giving color temperature information for light sources and the correlation between color temperature and peak wavelength.
iScience
(not exactly sure where I'm supposed to post this)

i was looking at my UV lamp that i got from walmart. i was looking for a wavelength on there but i only saw "color temperature" i immediately thought Wien's law; so then i calculated the peak wavelength and got 96nm which is on the far side of the UV spectrum (close to X-ray). it's a 118V with a 20W power rating so i don't exactly imagine the intensity being tiny either. should i be worried?

Physics news on Phys.org
Color temperature does not tell you the wavelengths emitted, it merely tells you how hot a blackbody would have to be to emit radiation over a broad spectrum that would look that color. Your UV lamp is NOT emitting 96 nm radiation. Your lamp probably emits radiation in the 200-300 nm range.

Is this UV lamp like a blacklight, or something else?

Edit: Actually, if you could link the lamp you bought or tell us the brand it would help.

Color temperature does not tell you the wavelengths emitted

by giving the color temperature aren't they essentially giving me the distribution with the peak wavelength? if not, what was the point of giving the color temperature?

this was the best link i could find: http://www.sc-liquidations.com/product_info.php?products_id=33551

Last edited by a moderator:
although, now that i think about it, unless the lamp has just all the right elements/compounds in it to produce that exact distribution, it cannot produce that distribution of colors because simply it is not that hot. So that still begs the question what was the purpose of writing the color temperature?

The inexpensive ones are usually mercury vapor lamps (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury-vapor_lamp).

Depending on the envelope it will emit 254 nm (UV-C) or 365 nm (UV-A).

The 254 nm is germicidal, while the 365 nm is the usual blacklight; the 180 nm line is blocked unless you have a quartz envelope - this would be a lamp intended for some special purpose.

You don't want to look at or expose your skin to the 254 nm light; the Wikipedia article lists some of the hazards. When I work with this wavelength I always were safety goggles which block everything below 400 nm, and use the lamp in a dark box. I use the lamp for modification of material surface conditions.

The color temperature doesn't tell you the peak wavelength unless it is a blackbody. However it is useful in the lighting industry to describe how "natural" a light source is ...

Take a fluorescent light bulb, one of those new kinds we have everywhere. If you look at it through a spectrograph you'll see that it emits light in only a few frequencies. These mix together and we see the light as being "white" or some other color. This color that the light looks, is what color temp is. (Well, technically it's their "spectral power distribution") If you calculate what the temperature of a blackbody needs to be to give you that same color, you could end up with a peak wavelength that the bulb doesn't even emit. It's just the way the energy is split between the different wavelengths.

As a simple example, let's say I have a light that emits ONLY 400 nm and 500 nm light. Depending on the ratio of the two wavelengths, my color temp could be almost anything. Adding a near equal mix gives me around 5,000 k, give or take some. If the 400 nm light is twice as strong as the 500, then my color temp is much higher, say 10,000 k or something.

Does that make sense?

iScience said:
although, now that i think about it, unless the lamp has just all the right elements/compounds in it to produce that exact distribution, it cannot produce that distribution of colors because simply it is not that hot. So that still begs the question what was the purpose of writing the color temperature?

The purpose is to let people know what color the light will be when they turn it on. That way if I go to the store and buy a 5500 k bulb, I know it will be "white", or if I buy a 2700 k bulb I know it will be "orangeish".

See below:

Incand-3500-5500-color-temp-comparison.png

Drakkith said:
Take a fluorescent light bulb, one of those new kinds we have everywhere. If you look at it through a spectrograph you'll see that it emits light in only a few frequencies.

Hopefully the fluorescent tube does not emit any of the UV mercury lines - the light that you see should all be from the phosphor coatings; the UV lines are the activators.

See http://home.howstuffworks.com/fluorescent-lamp2.htm

iScience said:
by giving the color temperature aren't they essentially giving me the distribution with the peak wavelength? if not, what was the point of giving the color temperature?

this was the best link i could find: http://www.sc-liquidations.com/product_info.php?products_id=33551

Okay, it appears to be a normal blacklight. See the following article for a list of peak wavelengths emitted by various blacklight bulbs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blacklight

Last edited by a moderator:
UltrafastPED said:
Hopefully the fluorescent tube does not emit any of the UV mercury lines - the light that you see should all be from the phosphor coatings; the UV lines are the activators.

See http://home.howstuffworks.com/fluorescent-lamp2.htm

I'm sure they don't.

That way if I go to the store and buy a 5500 k bulb, I know it will be "white", or if I buy a 2700 k bulb I know it will be "orangeish".

okay, so i calculated the corresponding wavelength for the 5500K, and it was near the green meaning all the colors would be mixed almost evenly giving a white color. however, i calculated the corresponding wavelength for the 2700K, and i got 1074 nm which is definitely in the infrared spectrum, and the graph of the color distribution falls off pretty rapidly as you move to the left from the peak wavelength, which seems like the color should be a lot redder than the color of the 2700K in the picture. 3500K corresponds to 828nm which is still on the IR side! hmm.. everything seems to be shifted to the right of where the peak wavelengths are...

iScience said:
okay, so i calculated the corresponding wavelength for the 5500K, and it was near the green meaning all the colors would be mixed almost evenly giving a white color.

Not true. A 5500 k object has a spectrum with a significant difference in radiation towards the blue and red ends. But our eyes are "calibrated" to see this as white still. (We actually see "white" over a wide range of conditions)

however, i calculated the corresponding wavelength for the 2700K, and i got 1074 nm which is definitely in the infrared spectrum, and the graph of the color distribution falls off pretty rapidly as you move to the left from the peak wavelength, which seems like the color should be a lot redder than the color of the 2700K in the picture. 3500K corresponds to 828nm which is still on the IR side!

Consider that metal glows cherry red at around 1,000 k and distinctly orange at around 1500 k. By 2,000 k objects are yellowish-white.

Play around with this calculator: http://www.spectralcalc.com/blackbody_calculator/blackbody.php

1. Should I be worried about UV lamp wavelengths being harmful to my health?

It depends on the type of UV lamp and its wavelength. If the lamp emits UVA or UVB radiation, it can increase the risk of skin cancer and damage to the eyes. However, most UV lamps used for household purposes, such as black lights, are relatively safe as long as they are used correctly and not for extended periods of time.

2. Are all UV lamp wavelengths the same?

No, there are different types of UV lamps that emit different wavelengths of ultraviolet light. UVA wavelengths range from 315-400 nanometers (nm), UVB ranges from 280-315 nm, and UVC ranges from 200-280 nm. The wavelength determines the potential harm to human health.

3. Can UV lamp wavelengths kill viruses and bacteria?

Yes, UV lamps with wavelengths between 200-280 nm (UVC) have been shown to kill viruses and bacteria by damaging their DNA and RNA. However, it is important to note that proper safety precautions must be taken when using these lamps, as they can also be harmful to humans.

4. What are the benefits of UV lamp wavelengths?

UV lamp wavelengths have various uses, including sterilization, tanning, and curing of materials. UVA wavelengths are commonly used in tanning beds, UVB is used in phototherapy for certain skin conditions, and UVC is used for disinfection purposes. Additionally, exposure to UVB wavelengths can trigger the production of vitamin D in the skin.

5. How can I protect myself from harmful UV lamp wavelengths?

If you are using a UV lamp for household purposes, make sure to follow instructions carefully and limit exposure time. If you are using a UVC lamp for disinfection purposes, make sure to wear appropriate protective gear and follow safety guidelines. It is also important to avoid direct exposure to UV lamp wavelengths, especially for extended periods of time.