Should I complete a Master's through coursework or thesis?

In summary, the current professor believes that a PhD is better for someone without publishable results than an MS because it is much harder for MS applicants without publishable results to be admitted. This is based on the professor's experience as a computer science professor. However, if you are confident in your research abilities, a PhD is still a good option.
mc0210
Hi all, I am currently an undergraduate in my third year working towards a simultaneous B.S/ M.S and will graduate next spring. I will be applying to Ph.D programs next winter and I am torn between earning my Master's through completing eight classes or through five classes and a Master's thesis. I believe a thesis would be better because I would be spending a great deal more time in the lab, but I am somewhat nervous because it is easy to insure I complete coursework, whereas a thesis is less well defined in time to completion. Given that I am definitely going on to further study and would be unwilling to work an additional semester or two on the thesis, I am hesitant to pursue that option. But I would like the strongest application...so what are your thoughts on the matter? Thanks for any advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
What subject are you studying?

What country are you in?

These can make a difference.

Choppy said:
What subject are you studying?

What country are you in?

These can make a difference.
Very sorry!
I am studying physics in the U.S. I am aware I do not need an M.S to apply to PhD programs, however since it fits nicely I am doing it!

Definitely the thesis option. See this discussion at academia stackexchange for more information: http://academia.stackexchange.com/q...ntages-to-completing-a-masters-program-before

Specifically, this quote by a current professor of computer science (so your results may vary):

What we look for in PhD applicants is strong evidence of research potential. Most undergraduates don't have an opportunity to undertake a real research project, but MS students do have that opportunity, by definition. It's much harder for MS applicants without publishable results to be admitted than an undergraduate in the same situation, all else being equal.

mc0210 said:
whereas a thesis is less well defined in time to completion

Yes, but the same can be said about your PhD dissertation. If you want certainty, a research degree won't really provide it.

Vanadium 50 said:
Yes, but the same can be said about your PhD dissertation. If you want certainty, a research degree won't really provide it.
Given that a PhD is my goal, I do want certainty that I will be able to apply when I would have had I not pursued the Masters.

But why is a PhD your goal? If you value certainty, a PhD will not put you on a path to it.

Vanadium 50 said:
But why is a PhD your goal? If you value certainty, a PhD will not put you on a path to it.
A PhD is my goal because I enjoy doing physics and hope to pursue it as a career. If I am unable to find a job, I would still enjoy having spent time doing research and earning a PhD. The only certainty I value is moving onto a PhD in the timeframe that I have planned and feel is reasonable.

This is one of those questions where a lot can depend on the specifics. What are the additional courses? How relevant are they going to be to your PhD work and how intersting are they going to be to you? What would your thesis project be?

I don't think there's a hands-down answer either way. Personally I would lean towards the thesis option. There's only so much you can learn from class work, and the thesis would give you a good taste of what research can be like.

If you're worried about finishing on time, talk with current students who are working on projects similar to what you'd like to be doing. Talk with potential supervisors. Do most students finish on time? What are the reasons when some students don't? In you can define a clear project for yourself (with your supervisor's help), with measureable milestones, you should be okay, but there is always some serendipity involved in research. If you're not willing to live with the uncertainty, go with the coursework.

1. What is the difference between a Master's through coursework and a Master's through thesis?

Completing a Master's through coursework typically involves taking a set number of classes and passing exams, while completing a Master's through thesis involves conducting original research and writing a thesis paper based on that research.

2. Which option is better for career advancement?

It ultimately depends on your career goals and field of study. Some industries may value a Master's through coursework for its practical skills and knowledge, while others may value a Master's through thesis for its research and analytical abilities.

3. Is one option easier than the other?

Again, this depends on your strengths and preferences. A Master's through coursework may be more suited for students who excel in classroom settings and prefer structured coursework, while a Master's through thesis may be better for students who enjoy research and writing.

4. Can I switch between the two options?

In most cases, it is possible to switch between a Master's through coursework and a Master's through thesis. However, it is important to check with your specific program or university for their policies and procedures regarding switching.

5. How long does it take to complete each option?

The time it takes to complete a Master's through coursework or thesis can vary. Generally, a Master's through coursework can take 1-2 years, while a Master's through thesis can take 2-3 years. Factors such as program requirements, research topic, and individual progress can also affect the duration of each option.