Should I Drop Physics? Advice & Ideas

In summary, The speaker loves physics and finds it amazing, crazy, cool, and fun. They are currently taking analytical mechanics and intro to modern physics, but feel that their imagination may hold them back in their studies and future career. However, they are passionate about unraveling the nature of reality and believe that physics is the most important field for understanding the universe. They also feel like a "mega nerd" and appreciate the encouragement to connect with other physics majors.
Felix Gonzales
I love physics. Well, modern physics mostly, still physics though. It's amazing seeing how much there is we don't know and how we got to understand what we do know today. I think the concepts are crazy, cool and fun. If I didn't know better, I'd say modern physics truly sounds like pure fiction because of the "absurdity", if you will, of some of the concepts in it. That's why I love it! It's like watching a movie in which the climactic scenes never end and only continue to rise. Okay, you get the idea, I really love physics. Though that doesn't mean I'm superb at it. I don't have an issue with the math as of right now (barely starting my third year). I'm currently taking analytical mechanics and intro to modern physics. I don't feel my imagination is up to par with others. I feel that this is and will continue to hold me back throughout college and possibly my career, depending on what I choose to do with my life. Does this become easier? Is it one of those things where the more you study and practice physics, the easier it will get? Because some mental exercises are kind of difficult for me and I don't know if that's a matter of lack of experience or lack of talent.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's easy to feel discouraged when things doesn't seem to work out, and yet at the end, they do. Many undergraduate students feel they won't do well on graduate courses just because they don't yet understand the Mathematics involved. If you do well on your undergraduate program, you probably won't do bad in further programs. Anyway, I don't know if the fact that you are in Physics because the ideas seem to you crazy or cool is a good basis. You should, in my very own opinion, go into Physics if you are passionate of unravelling the nature of matter, time... hence reality. 90% work, 10% talent (I don't know how to measure it, but maybe, and I just say maybe, with an IQ>110).

Likes Felix Gonzales
Wastrophysicist said:
I don't know if the fact that you are in Physics because the ideas seem to you crazy or cool is a good basis. You should, in my very own opinion, go into Physics if you are passionate of unraveling the nature of matter, time... hence reality

Oh yes! I constantly find myself asking questions about what I'm learning, either asking "what if..." style questions or questioning the material itself, and I am driven to find the answers. Most of the time, because of the level of my schooling, it's questions that have already been answered though which is a little bit of a buzz kill. I studied physics because I feel that once you strip away our possessions, like money, the only thing that matters is the universe. In my opinion, the universe is the only thing that matters and the only thing that will ever matter in the entirety of time. I know other things are important as well like art and politics, but I feel that what encompasses physics will push our world forward (alongside other STEM fields of course). I realize by this point I probably sound like a mega nerd so I'll end here but I would like to thank you for your reply. I appreciate the help!

You should hang out with other physics majors. My classmates and I often commiserate with each other over how we feel like idiots all of the time. You are not alone in your struggle.

1. Should I drop physics if I am struggling with the subject?

It ultimately depends on your personal goals and interests. If you are not planning on pursuing a career or further education in a field that heavily relies on physics, then dropping the subject may not be necessary. However, if you are determined to improve and have a passion for physics, seeking extra help and studying techniques may be more beneficial in the long run.

2. Will dropping physics affect my future academic and career opportunities?

This again depends on your goals and interests. If you are planning on pursuing a career in a field that heavily relies on physics, such as engineering or astrophysics, then dropping the subject may limit your opportunities. However, if your future plans do not involve physics, dropping the subject may not have a significant impact on your opportunities.

3. How can I determine if dropping physics is the right decision for me?

Consider your personal goals, interests, and strengths when making this decision. It may also be helpful to speak with a guidance counselor, teacher, or someone who has experience in the field of physics to gain more insight and advice.

4. Will dropping physics affect my overall GPA?

Yes, dropping any subject will likely affect your overall GPA. However, if you are struggling significantly in physics and it is negatively impacting your overall GPA, it may be worth considering dropping the subject and focusing on improving your grades in other areas.

5. What are some alternative options if I decide to drop physics?

If you are not interested in pursuing physics, there are many other science subjects that you can explore, such as biology, chemistry, or environmental science. Alternatively, you could also consider taking a different elective course that aligns with your interests and goals.