Repeating Second Year: A Second Chance to Master the Basics of Physics

In summary, this individual has had two years of poor academic performance in physics, combined with a lack of focus in their first year. They are currently at a 1.66 GPA with the possibility of not even being able to get into honors physics. They feel like they have lost 2 years and are not sure how to get them back. The individual expresses the desire for guidance from anyone. Their school allows for the replacement of grades, so they may need to retake some of their courses. However, they are hopeful that with more focused effort they can salvage their academic career.
baouba
So I got killed this past year in physics. Combined with the fact that I slacked off a lot in first year, I have an awful GPA. It's currently sitting at 1.66 ( out of 4.3) I need ~2.0 to get into honors physics. I'm guessing the possibility of grad school is out the window. I've been studying 3rd year physics all summer to try and get ahead but the damage is done. I hate myself so much right now. That's 2 years I'll never get back. I feel like there's no point and those 2 years of mistakes can never be undone. I need some guidance. Guidance from anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does your school let you replace grades if you take a class again?

While grad school is not completely out of the question for you, it's not looking good at all.

I believe the more pertinent issue in figuring out how to salvage your academic career is figuring out why you're "slacking off". Is it lack of passion? Personal distractions? Emotional issues? Figuring out which of these is the cause of your struggles should be a top priority for you. Trying to move forward without addressing them might lead to more wasted time.

Different schools and departments have different policies and recommendations for retaking courses.

Go talk to someone in your physics department and see what they recommend about the situation.

Express that you are open to retaking courses that you did poorly in.

baouba said:
So I got killed this past year in physics. Combined with the fact that I slacked off a lot in first year, I have an awful GPA. It's currently sitting at 1.66 ( out of 4.3) I need ~2.0 to get into honors physics. I'm guessing the possibility of grad school is out the window. I've been studying 3rd year physics all summer to try and get ahead but the damage is done. I hate myself so much right now. That's 2 years I'll never get back. I feel like there's no point and those 2 years of mistakes can never be undone. I need some guidance. Guidance from anyone.

Studying for third year courses is pretty much useless at this point. Your awful GPA indicates you did not grasp much of your first two years. So advancing even further in physics is not a good idea until you get the basics down. So you need to spend a lot of time revisiting the basics. You need to do this by taking courses, and also by self-studying a lot. If you don't invest this time, then you will not master physics. Grad school is looking near to impossible at this point, so I would develop a good plan B and focus on that. For example, programming or something applied.

Dishsoap said:
Does your school let you replace grades if you take a class again?

Yes my school will replace grades. I learned so much about time management towards the end of the year. I know if I retook 2nd year I would do a lot better, but there's no making up for first year.

micromass said:
Studying for third year courses is pretty much useless at this point. Your awful GPA indicates you did not grasp much of your first two years. So advancing even further in physics is not a good idea until you get the basics down. So you need to spend a lot of time revisiting the basics. You need to do this by taking courses, and also by self-studying a lot. If you don't invest this time, then you will not master physics. Grad school is looking near to impossible at this point, so I would develop a good plan B and focus on that. For example, programming or something applied.

This is the part I'm most frustrated about. I only really started working my ass off near the end so I could pass. I'm pretty much up to speed with what I need to know (and in some cases ahead of other students) only through self studying. I know what I should know for a 3rd year physics student, but I only learned it after it counted. I would most certainly do well in 3rd year purely from the fact that I've studied so much over the summer. I don't know what to do.

1. Should I repeat second year?

This is a personal decision that depends on your individual circumstances and academic goals. It is important to weigh the pros and cons and consider speaking with a academic advisor or mentor to help you make the best decision.

2. Will repeating second year affect my academic progress?

Repeating a year may impact your academic progress if you are not able to catch up on the credits you need to graduate. It is important to have a plan in place and work closely with your academic advisor to ensure you are on track to meet your goals.

3. How will repeating second year affect my GPA?

Repeating a year may affect your GPA if your previous grades are replaced with the new grades. However, it may also provide an opportunity to improve your grades and potentially raise your GPA. It all depends on your performance during the repeated year.

4. Will repeating second year impact my financial aid?

Repeating a year may affect your financial aid if you are on a scholarship or have specific academic requirements to maintain your aid. It is important to check with your financial aid office to understand the impact on your specific situation.

5. Are there any alternatives to repeating second year?

Depending on your reasons for considering repeating a year, there may be alternative options such as taking summer courses, seeking tutoring or academic support, or pursuing a different academic program. It is important to explore all options before making a decision.