Should I study D. S. Processing or control theory in greater depth?

In summary: However, if you choose to take operating systems architecture you will be sacrificing some of the other advantages of the other subject combinations.
I'm studying CE and math. My computer engineering course is basically electronic/electrical engineering with extra software. I have a choice between the two subject combinations below. Additionally, 1. I'm studying two mechatronic control theory subject, and a mathematical control theory subject1, 2. I have the option to study a PDE subject , a non-linear dynamics (chaos) subject, or a image processing/computer vision subject 3. I'm studying algorithms and data structures, and have the option to study maching learning or high performance computing. Any advice is appreciated.

Subject combination 1

Digital signal processing
Advanced digital filtering: polyphase, multirate, all-pass, lattice & IIR filters. Signal conditioning, analog filter types, sigma delta converters. Fast algorithms; Cooley-Tukey FFT, mixed radix formulations, Good-Thomas algorithm. Autoregressive, moving average signals. DSP applications and programming.

Applied math
Elements of vector analysis. Sturm-Liouville theory. Fourier transform & Green's functions. Generalised functions. Modelling with scalar & vector fields: perfect fluid flow & potential theory; convection-diffusion equations & spread of pollutants; elastic continua and vibrations.

Subject combination 2

Operating systems architecture
Implementation and design techniques for operating systems. Core material includes advanced kernel-level and device driver programming techniques, how operating systems principles are realized in practice, principles and practice of operating system support for distributed and real-time computing, case studies and different approaches to operating system design and implementation, including different models of software ownership.

Advanced mathematical control theory

Topics from: state space control; linear systems; calculus of variations & Pontryagin principle; optimal control, quadratic optimisation, Riccati equations; stability; LQG, Kalman filtering; frequency domain theory; Matrix transfer functions, realisations; coprime factorisation; robust control.

edit: I just realized I could take applied math, DSP, and image processing/computer vision and advanced control theory if I give up operating systems architecture. Is this a good idea? Do the subjects complement each other?
-----------
Calculus of variations: critical points; Euler equations; transversality; corner conditions; Hamilton equations; Jacobi equations; Legendre sufficient condition; Weierstrass E-function. Control theory: Lagrange, Mayer & Bolza problems; Pontryagin maximal principle, legendre transformations, augmented Hamiltonians, transversality, bang-bang control, linear systems.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Subject combination 1 is more likely to be useful to you in general engineering practice. Operating systems architecture is so specialized only a few people profit from knowing it in detail.

Applied math, DSP, and image processing complement each other very well, especially since image processing is a branch of DSP which is similar to a lot of discrete math (with different notation, sadly).

1. Should I study D. S. Processing or control theory in greater depth?

It ultimately depends on your personal interests and career goals. Both fields have their own unique applications and can lead to fulfilling careers. Consider researching the job market and talking to professionals in each field to determine which one aligns more with your goals.

2. What are the main differences between D. S. Processing and control theory?

D. S. Processing focuses on the analysis and manipulation of signals, while control theory is concerned with designing systems to achieve desired outputs. D. S. Processing is more commonly used in fields such as telecommunications and image processing, while control theory is typically applied in fields like robotics and aerospace engineering.

3. Which field has better job prospects?

Both D. S. Processing and control theory are in high demand in various industries, so it is difficult to determine which one has better job prospects. It may be more important to consider which field you are more passionate about and excel in, as that can lead to better job opportunities.

4. How can I determine which field I am more interested in?

You can start by taking introductory courses in both D. S. Processing and control theory to gain a basic understanding of each field. From there, you can explore different applications and research opportunities to see which topics spark your interest the most.

5. Are there any prerequisites for studying D. S. Processing or control theory?

A strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus and linear algebra, is essential for both fields. Familiarity with programming languages, such as MATLAB or Python, is also helpful. Some universities may require specific courses in these subjects as prerequisites for advanced courses in D. S. Processing or control theory.