Should I take Quantum Mechanics?

In summary: In summary, the textbook for the quantum mechanics course used in the third year of an undergraduate degree in Nanotechnology at Flinders University is "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths. This book includes topics like angular momentum and central forces, Maxwell's equations in differental form, and the vector potential. The course also requires an understanding of Fourier methods and simple boundary value problems, along with some vector calculus, linear algebra and matrix algebra. If you are not already overloaded with mathematics, you might be able to make up deficiencies as you go along, but QM is already a very intellectually challenging subject. The professor is unknown, but the quality of the course is questionable.
The-Exiled
Hey,

I'm currently in my second year of an undergraduate degree in Nanotechnology. I have the option of do a 3rd year quantum mechanics subject. The problem is I have only done first year level mathematics and have not done classical mechanics (Although, I have done a second year Modern Physics subject and a vibrations and waves subject). I was just wondering if I should not take the subject because I won't have the mathematical background required to do well?

Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What textbook does the QM course use, and what does "first year level mathematics" include in your system? I assume you're not in the USA.

For the physics part, you'll need an understanding of topics like angular momentum and central forces. In a second half of a year QM course, you'll probably need an understanding of Maxwell's equations in differental form, and particularly the vector potential.

On the math side, the vibrations and waves course will be useful if it included Fourier methods and simple boundary value problems, but you'll also need to know some vector calculus, some linear algebra and matrix algebra.

You might be able to make up deficiencies as you go along if you are not otherwise overloaded, but remember that QM is already a very intellectually challenging subject aside from much of the mathematical methods used.

I'm no expert, but won't QM be practically essential if you want to carry on working with nanotechnology after your degree?

jtbell said:
What textbook does the QM course use, and what does "first year level mathematics" include in your system? I assume you're not in the USA.

The mathematics that I have done are: Algebra (With matrices), differential calculus, series and integral calculus. I'm from Australia. :)

The textbook for the subject is "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths.

xGAME-OVERx said:
I'm no expert, but won't QM be practically essential if you want to carry on working with nanotechnology after your degree?

I know right? Thats why I think I should be doing it.

@Daverz, We have done Fourier methods in the vibrations and waves. Should I attempt to learn the maths/physics over the summer before the subject begins?

Is this the program?

http://www.flinders.edu.au/courses/rules/undergrad/bschnn.cfm#programofstudy

Or maybe one of the others listed here:

http://www.nanowerk.com/nanotechnology/degree_plist.php?progtype=b

I think I'd wait until after you've had linear algebra and diff eqs and completed the Physics prereqs if you haven't already. Is there a scheduling reason for taking the QM course early?

You could also check out the text and see how far you can get in it.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
How good is the professor? If you don't understand some math do you know someone who can help?

The-Exiled said:
This is the program:
I don't have a choice of doing any higher level mathematics than the first year... So unless I do the mathematics myself, I won't learn it.

I'd start working through the course textbook so you can find out where your background feels weak. I'd say up through chapter 4 should give you a good idea.

Griffiths gives some recommendations for background reading in the preface to his book:

http://www.physics.umd.edu/courses/Phys270/Jenkins/Griffiths_EPR_BellInequality_Excerpt.pdf

Related to Should I take Quantum Mechanics?

1. What is Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of particles at a microscopic level.

2. Why should I take Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is a fundamental theory in physics and is essential for understanding many phenomena in the world, including the behavior of atoms, molecules, and subatomic particles. It is also the basis for many modern technologies, such as computers and lasers.

3. Is Quantum Mechanics difficult?

Quantum Mechanics can be challenging to understand because it deals with concepts that are not intuitive, such as superposition, entanglement, and wave-particle duality. However, with dedication and practice, it is possible to grasp the fundamentals of the theory.

4. What are the prerequisites for taking Quantum Mechanics?

A strong foundation in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and linear algebra is necessary for understanding Quantum Mechanics. It is also beneficial to have some knowledge of calculus and differential equations.

5. How can I apply Quantum Mechanics in my career?

Quantum Mechanics is widely used in many fields, including physics, chemistry, engineering, and computer science. It is an essential tool for researchers and professionals working in these areas and can lead to exciting career opportunities in industries such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.