Should We Use Tau Instead of Pi in Physics Papers?

In summary, the conversation is about using tau instead of pi in physics papers and research. The expert advises that tau needs to be defined in context as it has multiple meanings, unlike pi and e which are commonly used without definition. The expert also suggests referencing Wikipedia for more information on tau.
Timothy S
I'm not a physicist or scientist but I am curious as to what your opinions are about using tau instead of pi in physics papers and research. Would you be able to get away with it, or would your peer reviewers get confused?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tau has multiple meanings. You need to define it in context.

The only math symbols that are commonly used without defining in context are pi and e (2.718...)

"...tau instead of pi...", this was quoted verbatim from my original post. Is that not enough context for you dr?

With that attitude, I bet you can look forward to great letters of recommendation.

Could you not discern that I was talking about that math symbols need to be defined in the context of their use in journal articles, etc.?

Tau has different meanings in different contexts and most readers will not recognize that 2pi is intended unless it is explicitly defined.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tau

and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Timothy S said:
"...tau instead of pi...", this was quoted verbatim from my original post. Is that not enough context for you dr?
No that is not enough, apparently you do not know what you are talking about.

Related to Should We Use Tau Instead of Pi in Physics Papers?

1. What is tau in scientific papers?

Tau, also known as tau protein, is a type of protein found in the brain. It is primarily associated with the formation of neurofibrillary tangles, a hallmark feature of Alzheimer's disease. Tau has also been implicated in other neurodegenerative disorders.

2. What is the role of tau in the brain?

The exact role of tau in the brain is not fully understood, but it is believed to play a role in stabilizing microtubules, which are involved in the transport of materials within neurons. Tau is also thought to regulate communication between nerve cells.

3. How is tau measured in scientific research?

Tau can be measured in various ways, including through imaging techniques such as positron emission tomography (PET) and through cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) analysis. Researchers may also use specialized antibodies to detect the presence of tau in tissue samples.

4. What is the significance of tau in neurodegenerative diseases?

Tau has been linked to the development and progression of neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's disease, frontotemporal dementia, and chronic traumatic encephalopathy. Abnormal accumulation of tau protein can lead to the formation of neurofibrillary tangles, which contribute to cognitive decline and other symptoms of these disorders.

5. Can tau be targeted for therapeutic interventions?

Researchers are actively studying ways to target tau protein in order to develop potential treatments for neurodegenerative diseases. This may include developing drugs that can reduce the amount of tau protein or prevent its abnormal accumulation in the brain.