Should we warn an experienced poster for not using latex?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter jim mcnamara
  • Start date
In summary, the OP tried to use Latex but did not use it to post the conversation, and the other posters did not like it.
jim mcnamara
Mentor
For a math proof - I would say yes. But I do clearly do not know where we stand on an adhoc halfway proof
Example:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/interesting-problem-in-connectedness.919385/

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd try a PM along the lines of "C'mon, you've been around here long enough to know that you should be using Latex" first. If that doesn't bring about the desired improvement, try "Please... you're sending a message to all the newbies that they don't have to learn Latex, which makes our job harder".

Warn/infract only after gentle nudges don't work, and it's unlikely that it will be necessary. Most of our experienced posters are pretty much committed to trying to do the right thing.

Likes Chestermiller
Thank you. :) I tried the minor nudge already. So let's see if the OP takes pity on us.

Nugatory said:
I'd try a PM along the lines of "C'mon, you've been around here long enough to know that you should be using Latex" first.
I would phrase it a little softer and just link them to the LaTeX guide. LaTeX is not a rule.

Likes berkeman and jedishrfu
Does it say anywhere that users should be using LaTeX and if they don't after some time it is an offense worth a warning? I cannot remember anything like that in the rules.

By all means, I would nudge him gently and tell him he is much more likely to get a useful reply after using LaTeX, but I do not think users should receive warnings for not doing so.

Likes fresh_42
I'm on the side of not giving a warning. The member is only making it worse for themselves by making their posts harder to read. And I don't think it sends much of a message to the newbies. The overwhelming majority of them will never use LateX, have never heard about it, and don't make posts where it would help much anyways.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I would phrase it a little softer and just link them to the LaTeX guide. LaTeX is not a rule.
I agree completely. You could also add that it would take less than a minute or two to get up to speed with subscripts and exponents, and not much more than that to get familiar with how fractions, integrals, and summations are formed.
Drakkith said:
I'm on the side of not giving a warning. The member is only making it worse for themselves by making their posts harder to read. And I don't think it sends much of a message to the newbies. The overwhelming majority of them will never use LateX, have never heard about it, and don't make posts where it would help much anyways.
I wouldn't give a warning, either, but maybe a PM. @Psychonaut is a math major, I'm pretty sure, so it would behoove him to add just a bit of polish to his posts, making them easier to read.

Greg Bernhardt said:

Its a way of life!

Likes mfb and Greg Bernhardt
Looks like he is getting the message...
PsychonautQQ said:
Ugh okay guys sorry I've put off learning latex too long I see now it's criticalness

Likes Greg Bernhardt
jedishrfu said:
But he didnt use latex to post it.
Because it would look like this:
##Ugh okay guys sorry I've put off learning latex too long I see now it's criticalness##

Likes jedishrfu
Orodruin said:
Because it would look like this:
##Ugh okay guys sorry I've put off learning latex too long I see now it's criticalness##
Not if he's doing it right:
##\text{ Ugh okay guys sorry I've put off learning latex too long I see now it's criticalness }##

fresh_42 said:
Not if he's doing it right:
##\text{ Ugh okay guys sorry I've put off learning latex too long I see now it's criticalness }##
Well, quite obviously. This takes away the humor though.

1. Should experienced posters be held accountable for not using latex in their experiments?

While it is important for experienced posters to follow proper protocol and use latex in their experiments, it may not always be necessary. It ultimately depends on the specific experiment and the materials being used. However, it is always a good idea to err on the side of caution and use latex whenever possible.

2. What are the potential risks of not using latex in an experiment?

The main risk of not using latex in an experiment is the potential for contamination. Latex is used as a barrier to protect both the experiment and the experimenter from outside substances that could affect the results. Without proper use of latex, there is a higher chance of inaccurate or compromised data.

3. Is it necessary to use latex if the experiment does not involve hazardous materials?

Even if the experiment does not involve hazardous materials, it is still a good idea to use latex as a precautionary measure. There may be other factors at play that could contaminate the experiment, such as bacteria or other microorganisms. Additionally, latex helps maintain a sterile environment, which is important for many experiments.

4. What are some alternatives to using latex in an experiment?

If latex is not readily available or cannot be used for any reason, there are some alternatives that can be used. These include nitrile gloves, vinyl gloves, or even non-latex versions of lab equipment such as pipettes and test tubes. However, it is important to note that these alternatives may not provide the same level of protection as latex.

5. How can we ensure that experienced posters are using latex properly in their experiments?

The best way to ensure proper use of latex in experiments is through proper training and education. Experienced posters should be knowledgeable about the importance of using latex and how to use it correctly. Regular reminders and safety protocols can also help reinforce the importance of using latex in experiments.