1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show a sequence is Cauchy

1. Jan 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If a sequence {xn} in ℝn satisfies that sum || xn - xn+1 || for n ≥ 1 is less than infinity, then show that the sequence is Cauchy.

2. Relevant equations
    The triangle inequality?

3. The attempt at a solution
    || xm - xn || ≤ || Ʃ (xi+1 - xi) from i=n to m-1||
    Using the triangle inequality and the given condition, I only get that the norm is less than infinity. I do not know how to transform this into an ε argument. Is there a property of finite sums of telescoping norms that would help?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2012 #2
    every convergent sequence in a metric space is a cauchy sequence
    so you could either take that as a theorem or prove it (it's pretty much a one liner)
    so you just want to show that your series converges

4. Jan 31, 2012 #3
    I don't see how to show that the series converges if I am only given that the sum is finite. All I get from subtracting partial sums is that the norm of the difference is yet again finite...

5. Jan 31, 2012 #4
    If the sum of the distances between adjacent points converges then the distances must form a monotonically decreasing sequence such that [itex]\lim \limits_{n\to\infty}||x_n - x_{n+1}|| = 0[/itex] since distances are always non-negative.

What is the definition of a Cauchy sequence?

6. Jan 31, 2012 #5
    So by definition of a limit,
    lim n→∞ xn = xn+1
    which means that the sequence converges to some limit L.

From here:
    - I can use either that any convergent sequence in ℝn must be Cauchy
    - or that the above implies that there is some N, M (natural numbers) such that

|| xn - L || < ε/2 for all n > N
    || xm - L || < ε/2 for all m > M

so that the definition of a Cauchy sequence is satisfied for all n, m > max{N, M}.

Is that correct?

By the way.....where do you find the code to format the limit? I couldn't find the latex for it.

7. Jan 31, 2012 #6
    A cauchy sequence is a sequence [itex]{p_n}[/itex] such that for every [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] there exists an integer [itex]N[/itex] such that [itex]n,m>N[/itex] implies [itex]d(p_n,p_m) < \epsilon[/itex]

This means that the difference between each neighbouring members of the squence get smaller and smaller.

In the reals, suppose [itex]{p_n} \rightarrow P[/itex] then there exists N such that [itex]n,m>N[/itex]
    implies [itex]d(P,p_n) < \frac{\epsilon}{2}[/itex] and [itex]d(P,p_m) < \frac{\epsilon}{2}[/itex]
    Therefore [itex]d(p_n,p_m) \leq d(P,p_n) + d(P,p_m) < \epsilon [/itex]
    So every congergent sequence in R is a cauchy sequence

Can you see now what a cauchy sequence is?

8. Jan 31, 2012 #7
    So that's basically what I said in my previous post, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook