Show continuously uniform function

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of showing that the function f(x) defined as the infimum of the distances between x and a non-empty subset F of a metric room (X,d) is continuously uniform in the entire X. The conversation also presents a general solution for this problem, which involves proving a stronger inequality. The key insight is to consider the special case where F consists of only two points, and then generalize the solution to the case of arbitrary F.
aeronautical
Let F be a non-empty subset of a metric room (X,d) and define the function f: X→R through f(x)= inf_{y∈F} d(x,y)= inf {d(x,y):y ∈ F}. Please show that f is continuously uniform in the entire X.

Please note that f(x)= inf_{y∈F} d(x,y) means that y∈F is written below the inf...it is hard to show it on one line, so I chose to show as a subscript...Can anyone tell me how I should begin this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Strange coincidence, I've been trying to solve the same problem! Well, not exactly the same... I have been trying to show that the map [itex]x\mapsto d(x, F)[/itex] is Lipschitz continuous, meaning that there exists a constant C such that |d(x,F)-d(y,F)|≤Cd(x,y) for all x,y in X. Obviously Lipschitz continuity is stronger than uniform continuity since given ε>0, it suffices to take δ=ε/C. As it turns out, there is an exercise in the book Topology and Geometry of G. Bredon that asks the reader to show that the map [itex]x\mapsto d(x, F)[/itex] is (merely!) continuous. And a hint is provided in suggesting to show that this map is actually Lipschitz of constant C=1. Meaning that, somewhat surprisingly, the easiest way to solve your problem and mine is probably to demonstrate the stronger inequality |d(x,F)-d(y,F)|≤d(x,y) for all x,y in X. So let's try to show this.

The key for me was to consider first the very special case in which F consists of only two points: F={p,q}. In this scenario, the problem is not so overwhelming psychologically and after solving it, I realized that its solutions admits an immediate generalization to the case of arbitrary F.

The general solution I found is as follows. Tell me what you think.

First, note that we can assume without loss of generality that d(y,F)≤d(x,F) [if not, interchange the labels of x and y...]. In this case, |d(x,F)-d(y,F)|=d(x,F)-d(y,F) and so we must prove that d(x,F)≤d(x,y)+d(y,F) [i.e., we must prove a kind of triangle inequality in which sets are allowed to occupy one of the variable position].

Next, consider {e_n}, {f_n} two sequences of points in F such that d(x,F)=lim d(x,e_n) and d(y,F)=lim d(y,f_n) and further assume that d(x,e_n)≤d(x,f_n) for all n in N.

Then, we have d(x,y)+d(y,f_n) ≥ d(x,f_n) ≥ d(x,e_n) for all n in N and passing to the limit yields the desired conclusion.

What is a continuously uniform function?

A continuously uniform function is a mathematical function that remains constant and unchanging throughout its entire domain. This means that the graph of the function is a straight line with a constant slope.

What are the characteristics of a continuously uniform function?

A continuously uniform function has the following characteristics:

• It has a constant output for every input within its domain.
  • The graph of the function is a straight line with a constant slope.
  • It has no breaks or gaps in its graph.
  • The function is defined for all real numbers within its domain.

How is a continuously uniform function different from a discontinuous function?

A continuously uniform function is different from a discontinuous function in that it has no breaks or gaps in its graph, while a discontinuous function has one or more breaks or gaps in its graph. Additionally, a continuously uniform function has a constant output for every input, while a discontinuous function may have different outputs for the same input or may not be defined at certain points within its domain.

What are some examples of continuously uniform functions?

Some examples of continuously uniform functions include:

• Linear functions: y = mx + b
  • Exponential functions: y = ab^x
  • Polynomial functions: y = ax^n
  • Trigonometric functions: y = sin(x) or y = cos(x)

How are continuously uniform functions used in science?

Continuously uniform functions are used in science to model and describe various natural phenomena, such as motion, growth, and decay. They are also used in analyzing and interpreting data in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology. In addition, continuously uniform functions are an important tool in engineering and technology for designing and optimizing systems and processes.