Show that expecting value of energy is independent of time

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem that asks for the expectation value of energy when time is not a variable. They are stuck because they are not sure what to compute.
emeriska
Sorry I failed to make Latex work, don't know why...

1. Homework Statement

We consider
for a given potential. Psi is also normalized...

h%29%5Cpsi_%7Bn%7D%28x%29%24%24.gif

Homework Equations

Show that expectation value of energy is independent of time.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I'm use to expecting values, but not of the energy...

I started with <H>psi=<E>psi
then if I compute <H>=<psi|H|psi> = E|Psi> = E

Then I told myself H=p^2/2m + V(x)

So I guess if I compute dH/dt and I find it equals to 0 I can say E is independent of time?

I feel like this is wrong tough... It looks too simple

Thanks a lot for checking that out guys!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, and welcome to PF :-)
They aren't called expecting values, but expectation values...

<H>=<psi|H|psi> = E|Psi> = E
the thing in the middle doesn't look right . What exactly do you compute ?

Thanks about that!

Well, I'm really not quite sure...found that somewhere and I tought it made sens but the more I look at it the more this doesn't help at all...

Are you given that ##V=V(x)\neq V(x,t)## is true, so that your Hamiltonian is explicitly time-independent? Otherwise, I don't think the statement in this problem is true.

I'm guessing this is assumed because you have written:

$$\Psi(x,t)=\sum_n c_n(t=0)e^{-iE_n t/\hbar}\psi_n(x)$$

If so, all you have to prove is that ##\left<H\right>## is independent of time, since that IS the expectation value of the energy. In other words, prove:

$$\frac{d\left<H\right>}{dt}=0$$

If ##H## is independent of time, the wave functions ##\Psi({\bf r},t)## in ##i\hbar {\partial \Psi\over\partial t} = H\Psi ## can be written as ##f(t) \;\psi({\bf r})## and the equation can be re-written as ##i\hbar {\partial f \over\partial t} \psi({\bf r}) = f(t) \;H\psi (\bf r)## or $$i\hbar {\partial f \over\partial t} /f(t) = H\psi (\bf r)/\psi({\bf r})$$ Now left hand side is a function of t only, right hand of r only. Can only be if both sides are constant. name the constant E and you get the time-independent Schroedinger eqn ##H\psi ({\bf r}) = E\;\psi({\bf r})##.
For the complete wave function there still is the time part, for which ##i\hbar {\partial f \over\partial t} = E \; f(t)## with solution ## f(t) = e^{{-i E\over \hbar} t }##. That's where the ##\Psi(x,t)## in your exercise come from.

The full wording of your exercise probably says the ##\psi_n## are normalized ? And they satisfy ##H|\psi_n> = E_n|\psi_n>## ?

Now your <H>=<psi|H|psi> can be written out in full (by you) as $$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\; \Psi^*(x,t) \; H \; \Psi^*(x,t) \; dx $$to give the expectation value of E. Fill in the given ##\Psi##, see that the exp (and hence the time dependence) disappears

I had to read that a couple times but thanks a lot! that really helped!

Oh, and while I'm there,

I also need to prove that ##<H> <= E_{1}##, where ##E_{1}## is the fundamental energy. How will I proceed to do that?

Do I need to compute ##E_{1}##? Cause if I do, I'll end up with terms in ##\psi_{1}## that I'm not quite sure how to compare with ##\psi_{n}##

I think you mean ##\left<H\right> \geq E_1## right? ##E_1## is the ground state energy, so you shouldn't be getting energies lower than it.

Yes sorry your right! I know it sound really obvious, but I need to prove it...That's what bugging me :S

Well start with the definition: ##\left<H\right>=\left<\Psi|H|\Psi\right>## and then break down the ##\left|\Psi\right>## into the superposition of eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian to see how this will work out.

1. What is the "expecting value of energy"?

The expecting value of energy is a concept in physics that refers to the average amount of energy that a system is expected to have, based on the probabilities of different possible energy states.

2. How is the expecting value of energy calculated?

The expecting value of energy can be calculated by multiplying each possible energy state by its corresponding probability, and then summing all of these products together.

3. Why is it important to show that the expecting value of energy is independent of time?

It is important to show that the expecting value of energy is independent of time because it demonstrates that the average energy of a system remains constant over time, regardless of the specific energy states that are present at any given moment.

4. How is the independence of time proven for the expecting value of energy?

The independence of time for the expecting value of energy can be proven using mathematical equations and principles of quantum mechanics, which show that the expecting value remains constant even as the system evolves over time.

5. What are the implications of the expecting value of energy being independent of time?

The fact that the expecting value of energy is independent of time has important implications for understanding the behavior of physical systems, as it allows us to make predictions about the average energy of a system without needing to know the specific details of its evolution over time.