Show that f(x) = sin(x^2) is continuous for all a [-sqrt(pi), sqrt(pi).

  • Thread starter Thread starter Robultronic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Continuous
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 6K views
Robultronic
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Given f : [-[tex]\sqrt{\pi}[/tex], [tex]\sqrt{\pi}[/tex] ] [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] [-1, 1]

f(x) = sin(x[tex]^{2}[/tex])

a)
Show that f is continuous for all a [tex]\in[/tex] [-[tex]\sqrt{\pi}[/tex], [tex]\sqrt{\pi}[/tex] ]

b)
Find a [tex]\delta[/tex] so that |x - y| [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\delta[/tex] implies that
|f(x) - f(y)| [tex]\leq[/tex] 0.1 for all x and y in [-[tex]\sqrt{\pi}[/tex], [tex]\sqrt{\pi}[/tex] ]

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I honestly don't know where to begin. But would be very pleased for any help. A full solution would be the optimal though. But anything helps.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to go back to the definition of continuity, you need to show that for every point a in the interval,

[tex]\lim_{x \to a} f(x) = f(a)[/tex]

(with the appropriate one-sided limit at the endpoints). If you can assume other facts, then you can argue f(x) is continuous in a less tedious way. What do you think you're supposed to do?
 
I'm supposed to use the definition of continuity.

I know how to show continuity at a point, but have no clue of how to do it for an interval.
 
You just have to show f is continuous at every point in the interval. It essentially amounts to saying "Let a∈[-√π,√π]" and showing f is continuous at x=a like usual.
 
Lol, that simple, thx. I kept thinking I had to use the interval in the proof somehow and not just say a = the interval. OK, that I can do. How about b?
 
I think I solved it, I will write it down when I get home so someone can tell if its correct or not, but have to go now.