1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that f(x) = sin(x^2) is continuous for all a [-sqrt(pi), sqrt(pi).

1. Sep 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given f : [-[tex]\sqrt{\pi}[/tex], [tex]\sqrt{\pi}[/tex] ] [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] [-1, 1]

f(x) = sin(x[tex]^{2}[/tex])

a)
    Show that f is continuous for all a [tex]\in[/tex] [-[tex]\sqrt{\pi}[/tex], [tex]\sqrt{\pi}[/tex] ]

b)
    Find a [tex]\delta[/tex] so that |x - y| [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\delta[/tex] implies that
    |f(x) - f(y)| [tex]\leq[/tex] 0.1 for all x and y in [-[tex]\sqrt{\pi}[/tex], [tex]\sqrt{\pi}[/tex] ]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I honestly don't know where to begin. But would be very pleased for any help. A full solution would be the optimal though. But anything helps.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

If you want to go back to the definition of continuity, you need to show that for every point a in the interval,

[tex]\lim_{x \to a} f(x) = f(a)[/tex]

(with the appropriate one-sided limit at the endpoints). If you can assume other facts, then you can argue f(x) is continuous in a less tedious way. What do you think you're supposed to do?

4. Sep 20, 2010 #3
    I'm supposed to use the definition of continuity.

I know how to show continuity at a point, but have no clue of how to do it for an interval.

5. Sep 20, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You just have to show f is continuous at every point in the interval. It essentially amounts to saying "Let a∈[-√π,√π]" and showing f is continuous at x=a like usual.

6. Sep 20, 2010 #5
    Lol, that simple, thx. I kept thinking I had to use the interval in the proof somehow and not just say a = the interval. OK, that I can do. How about b?

7. Sep 21, 2010 #6
    I think I solved it, I will write it down when I get home so someone can tell if its correct or not, but have to go now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook