Show that if f: A → B and E, F are subsets of A, then f(E ∪ F) = f(E)

• Thread starter Scienticious
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subsets
In summary: Case 2: x is not an element of E. Then f(x) is not an element of f(E).Since f(x) is not an element of f(E), it follows that f(x) is not an element of f(E ∪ F). Therefore f(E) ∪ f(F) is not a subset of f(E ∪ F).
Scienticious

Homework Statement

Show that if f: A → B and E, F are subsets of A, then f(E ∪ F) = f(E) ∪ f(F).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt:

Suppose x is an element of E. Then f(x) is an element of f(E), which means f(x) is a subset of f(E).
But x is in E implies x is in E or F so that x is in E ∪ F.
Thus f(E ∪ F) = f(x) is a subset of f(E), and is also a subset of f(E) ∪ f(F) by or introduction.

*Similar argument applies when we suppose x is an element of F*

Now I'm having trouble with the converse part of the proof; the only idea I've come up with is to use a similar strategy as in the first proof and suppose x is in E so that f(x) is in f(E). Then you can show that since x is in E or F that the left side of the equation is contained in the right.

I'm a total newbie at proofs. please someone help me out :3

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose x is an element of E. Then f(x) is an element of f(E), which means f(x) is a subset of f(E).
But x is in E implies x is in E or F so that x is in E ∪ F.
Thus f(E ∪ F) = f(x) is a subset of f(E), and is also a subset of f(E) ∪ f(F) by or introduction.

*Similar argument applies when we suppose x is an element of F*

Just some formalities: In the first line you say [itex]f(x)[/itex] is a subset of [itex]f(E)[/itex]. The More correct thing to say is that for [itex]x\in E[/itex], [itex]f(x)\in f(E)[/itex], i.e. f(x) is an element in f(E). But what you really want to say is this: Let [itex]x\in E[/itex] so that [itex] f(x)\in f(E)[/itex]. Then continue as you did: since [itex] x\in E, x\in E\cup F[/itex], and thus
[itex]f(x)\in f(E\cup F)[/itex]. This shows [itex]f(E)\subset f(E\cup F)[/itex]. The same argument applied to [itex]x\in F[/itex] will give [itex]f(F)\subset f(E\cup F)[/itex] which together yield
[tex]f(E)\cup f(F)\subset f(E\cup F).[/tex]
Saying [itex]f(E\cup F)=f(x)[/itex] and that last line you wrote don't make sense to me. The idea is to start with an element from one side of the equation and then show it must also belong to the set on the other side of the equation : If you want to prove A=B, you need to show that if x belongs to A, it also belongs to B ( A is a subset of B), and ten you need to show if x belongs to B it also belongs to A (B is a subset of A). Together (A is a subset of B) and (B is a subset of A) yield B=A. Does this make sense to you? you need to keep track of where you start and make sure you understand what is going on!
Now I'm having trouble with the converse part of the proof; the only idea I've come up with is to use a similar strategy as in the first proof and suppose x is in E so that f(x) is in f(E). Then you can show that since x is in E or F that the left side of the equation is contained in the right.

I'm a total newbie at proofs. please someone help me out :3

This side of the proof we want to show that [itex]f(E\cup F)\subset f(E)\cup f(F).[/itex] to do this you need to start with something like : Let [itex]x\in E\cup F[/itex] so that [itex]f(x)\in f(E\cup F)[/itex]. Then you brake it into two cases, either x is in E or x is in F (or both). Try rewriting your argument and post what you get.

Thank you for your reply :3 I think I get it now; here's my new proof:

Let x be an element of E.
Then f(x) is an element of f(E).
But if x is an element of E then x is an element of E ∪ F
Thus f(x) is an element of f(E ∪ F).
Therefore f(E) is a subset of f(E ∪ F).

Now let x be an element of F.
Then f(x) is an element of f(F).
But if x is an element of F then x is an element of E ∪ F.
Thus f(x) is an element of f(E ∪ F).
Therefore f(F) is a subset of f(E ∪ F).

Together these two cases imply that f(E) ∪ f(F) is a subset of f(E ∪ F).

Conversely, let x be an element of E ∪ F so that f(x) is an element of f(E ∪ F).

Case 1: x is an element of E. Then f(x) is an element of f(E).
By or introduction, f(x) is also an element of f(E) ∪ f(F).
Therefore if x is an element of E then f(E ∪ F) is a subset of f(E) ∪ f(F).

Case 2: x is an element of F. then f(x) is an element f(F).
By or introduction, f(x) is also an element of f(E) ∪ f(F).
Therefore if x is an element of F, f(E ∪ F) is a subset of f(E) ∪ f(F).

These two cases together imply that f(E ∪ F) is a subset of f(E) ∪ f(F).

Since f(E U F) is a subset of f(E) ∪ f(F), and vice versa, these two sets are equal.

Hence f(E ∪ F) = f(E) ∪ f(F).
qed

The other thought I had for the 2nd part of the proof would be to consider 3 cases: x is in A/B, B/A and A ∩ B.
But as I understand it my proof should work.

Thanks again for your help :3

Related to Show that if f: A → B and E, F are subsets of A, then f(E ∪ F) = f(E)

1. What does the notation "f: A → B" mean?

The notation "f: A → B" means that the function f maps elements from the set A to the set B. In other words, for every element in A, there is a corresponding element in B.

2. What is a subset?

A subset is a set that contains some or all of the elements of another set. It is denoted by the symbol "⊆". For example, if A = {1, 2, 3} and B = {1, 2, 3, 4}, then A is a subset of B because all the elements of A are also in B.

3. How is the union of two sets defined?

The union of two sets, denoted by the symbol "∪", is the set that contains all the elements from both sets. For example, if A = {1, 2, 3} and B = {3, 4, 5}, then A ∪ B = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5}.

4. How does the given equation show that f(E ∪ F) = f(E)?

The equation "f(E ∪ F) = f(E)" shows that the function f maps the same elements from the set E ∪ F to the set E. In other words, the elements in E ∪ F are the same as the elements in E when they are passed through the function f.

5. Can you provide an example to illustrate this concept?

Sure, let's say f(x) = x^2 and A = {1, 2, 3} and B = {1, 4, 9}. If we take E = {1, 2} and F = {2, 3}, then E ∪ F = {1, 2, 3} and f(E) = {1, 4} which is the same as f(E ∪ F) = {1, 4}. This shows that f(E ∪ F) = f(E).