1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that Isospin operators satisfy the SU(2) algebra

1. Dec 2, 2008 #1
    Hi there! Doesn't seem like a hard problem..

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the 3 isospin operators, defined by [tex]T_{+}\left\vert p\right\rangle =0[/tex], [tex]T_{-}\left\vert n\right\rangle =0[/tex], [tex]T_{+}\left\vert n\right\rangle =\left\vert p\right\rangle[/tex], [tex]T_{-}\left\vert p\right\rangle =\left\vert n\right\rangle[/tex], [tex]T_{3}\left\vert p\right\rangle =\frac{1}{2}\left\vert p\right\rangle[/tex] and [tex]T_{3}\left\vert n\right\rangle =-\frac{1}{2}\left\vert n\right\rangle[/tex], satisfy the SU(2) algebra.

2. Relevant equations
    I belive that's all we need.

3. The attempt at a solution

First of all, I'm havig a little difficulty using the general form of the SU(2) algebra [tex]\left[ A_{ij},A_{kl}\right] =\delta _{jk}A_{il}-\delta _{il}A_{kj}[/tex] (found this in wikipedia) But at least I know I have to calculate the commutators between these 3 operators!
    I managed to calculate the first one:
    [tex]\left[ T_{+},T_{-}\right] \left\vert p\right\rangle =\left(T_{+}T_{-}-T_{-}T_{+}\right) \left\vert p\right\rangle =\left\vert p\right\rangle =\frac{1}{2}T_{3}[/tex]
    The same result can be achieved using [tex]\left\vert n\right\rangle[/tex]
    Any suggestions as how to calculate the other commutators? (Involving the [tex]T_{3}[/tex])

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?