Show that it satisfies the differential equation

In summary: I'll let you know the results in a few minutes.In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation and showing that a given function satisfies the equation. The solution involves manipulating the equation and using integration to show that the function y=tanh(t) satisfies the equation with initial conditions. The conversation then continues to discuss solving a different differential equation using the results from the previous part, and determining the values of A and B to substitute into the original function to satisfy the new equation.
crybllrd

Homework Statement

Show that

[tex]y=tanh(t)[/tex]

satisfies the differential equation

[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}=1-y^{2}[/itex]

with initial conditions y(0) = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to start, but we have only dealt with one D.E., and we had moved all the variables to a respective side then integrated.

[itex]dy=(1-y^{2})dt[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dy}{1-y^{2}}=dt[/itex]

Integrate both sides to get

[itex]ln|1-y^{2}|=t[/itex]

Not sure where to go from here

Physics news on Phys.org
hi crybllrd! :smile:
crybllrd said:
[itex]\frac{dy}{1-y^{2}}=dt[/itex]

Integrate both sides to get

[itex]ln|1-y^{2}|=t[/itex]

nooo :redface:

d/dy (ln(1 - y2)) = 2y/(1 - y2)

try again, splitting 1/(1 - y2) into partial fractions first :wink:

Oh ok , I got it. I am in Calc 2 and when I read Diff. Eq. it just scared me off.
That was easy enough. It is a seven part question, and the third part looks very similar:

Show that for the arbitrary constants A and B, the function y=Atanh(Bt) satisfies:

[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}=AB-\frac{B}{A}y^{2}[/itex]

I will try to get it to match the form:

[itex]\int\frac{1}{A^{2}+x^{2}}=\frac{1}{A}tan^{-1}(\frac{x}{A})+c[/itex]

[itex]dy=B(A-\frac{1}{A}y^{2})(dt)[/itex]<--- factored out the B and multiplied by dt

[itex]\frac{dy}{A-\frac{1}{A}y^{2}}=Bdt[/itex]

It looks like I need to do a little more manipulation/simplification to get the left side where I want it (namely getting rid of the 1/A in the denominator) but I can't get it to the form I want.

Last edited:
No, no, no! Did you not understand what sheriff89 said? You are not asked to solve the differential equation. In Calculus II you wouldn't be expected to do that.
Differentiate y= Atanh(Bt) and put it and [itex]y^2= A^2tanh^2(Bt)[/itex] into the equation and determine if you get a true equation or not.

Why would I put the y^2 into the equation and square the other side? And what is a "true equation"?
I have a feeling these will be on our exam next week, so I want to understand it well.
Thanks

Last edited:
You still aren't getting the point of just substituting into the differential equation to show you have a solution. Go back to the first one. If y=tanh(x) then dy/dx=sech(x)^2. The other side is 1-y^2=1-tanh(x)^2. Aren't they equal? You don't have to solve any ODE's, you just have to show you have a solution.

Oh ok I get it.
On part A I algebraically rearranged to get dy/(1-y^2 )=dt, then I integrated both sides to get (after simplification) y= tanh⁡t, done. Just did it the long way, not even thinking because all the other problems were integration.

then, when I started integrating part b, people starting getting upset :P

So this is what I have for part b:

y(t)=Atanh(Bt)
y(t)'=ABsech2(Bt)

y(t)'=AB-(B/A)y2

ABsech2(Bt)=AB-(B/A)Atanh2(Bt)

B's cancel out

Asech2(Bt)=A-tanh2(Bt)

I can see this being true if A=1
Is that all I need?
And, where does the y(0)=0 come into play? I see where that is true, but is that information actually needed to solve it?

y(t)^2=A^2*tanh(Bt)^2. If you work it out correctly the A factor will cancel as well. And you don't need y(0)=0 to show that. But given the solution, you can say y(0)=0.

Cool, thanks a lot.
I think I'm definitely ready for an exam on Monday.

EDIT: I had a math error on my last post when I substituted for y2. When done properly, all the A's canceled out.

Last edited:
Ugh, this problem is killing me. On a later part, it asks:
Let v(t) be the velocity of a falling object of mass m that started from rest. For large velocities, air resistance is proportional to the square of velocity v(t)2.
If we choose coordinates so that v(t)>0 for a falling object, then there is a constant k>0 such that
[itex]\frac{dv}{dt}=g-\frac{k}{m}v^{2}[/itex]
Solve for v(t) by applying the rsults of part (b) (what I just worked out) with
[itex]A=\sqrt{gm/k}, B=\sqrt{gk/m}[/itex]

I am not sure what "result" he is wanting from part B, I just had to show that a function satisfied a differential, and in doing so I canceled out all of the constants except for the B within the hyperbolic.

crybllrd said:
Ugh, this problem is killing me. On a later part, it asks:
Let v(t) be the velocity of a falling object of mass m that started from rest. For large velocities, air resistance is proportional to the square of velocity v(t)2.
If we choose coordinates so that v(t)>0 for a falling object, then there is a constant k>0 such that
[itex]\frac{dv}{dt}=g-\frac{k}{m}v^{2}[/itex]
Solve for v(t) by applying the rsults of part (b) (what I just worked out) with
[itex]A=\sqrt{gm/k}, B=\sqrt{gk/m}[/itex]

I am not sure what "result" he is wanting from part B, I just had to show that a function satisfied a differential, and in doing so I canceled out all of the constants except for the B within the hyperbolic.

You know that v(t)=A*tanh(Bt) satisfies [itex]\frac{dv}{dt}=A B - \frac{B}{A}v^{2}[/itex]. So to find a solution to [itex]\frac{dv}{dt}=g-\frac{k}{m}v^{2}[/itex] you just set [itex]A B=g[/itex] and [itex]\frac{B}{A}=\frac{k}{m}[/itex] and solve for A and B. But it looks like they already did that for you as well. So maybe they just want to to substitute those values for A and B into v(t)=A*tanh(Bt)? Or maybe they want you to show explicitly that it works?

Alright I just did both. Thanks again.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates the rate of change of a variable to the value of the variable itself. It is a useful tool for modeling dynamic systems in various fields, including physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do you show that a function satisfies a differential equation?

To show that a function satisfies a differential equation, you need to substitute the function into the equation and demonstrate that the equation is satisfied for all values of the independent variable. This can be done by taking the derivative of the function and checking if it matches the expression on the other side of the equation.

3. What are the different types of differential equations that can be satisfied?

There are many types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations, partial differential equations, and stochastic differential equations. These equations can also be classified based on their order, linearity, and the type of variables involved.

4. Why is it important to show that a function satisfies a differential equation?

Showing that a function satisfies a differential equation is important because it allows us to verify if a particular solution is valid. It also helps us to understand the behavior of the system described by the equation and make predictions about its future state.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have numerous real-world applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering. They are used to model physical phenomena like heat transfer, population growth, and fluid dynamics, and to optimize processes in industries like finance, transportation, and manufacturing.