Show that the Change in Volume is Independent of the Path

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving an ideal gas and its equation of state, PV=nRT. The equation is used to determine derivatives and integrals, and the importance of paying attention to what is constant and what is not is emphasized. The conversation also mentions the importance of using correct units when solving the problem.
McAfee

Homework Statement

Gk7AcX6.png

Homework Equations

Svm7c35.png

The Attempt at a Solution

P22KBe3.png

I understand what the question is asking. Both ways I should get the same answer. I'm having trouble figuring out the mathematics behind this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.
You're dealing with an ideal gas: what's the equation of state? (the one relating P, V and T)

Goddar said:
Hi.
You're dealing with an ideal gas: what's the equation of state? (the one relating P, V and T)

The equation of state would be PV=nRT.
P- pressure
V- volume
n- number of moles
T-temperature
R-universal constant

That was your only missing piece, now you can work the integrals.

Goddar said:
That was your only missing piece, now you can work the integrals.

So would I have to change the equation of state around and plug it into each change of V, change of T, and change of P?

Edit: I should plug them into the partial difference equation? The change in should be constants I think.

Edit(again): The only equation I really have to plug in is V=(RT)/P. I think I'm just taking different differentials followed by integration.

Last edited:
Use the equation of state to determine the derivatives. Example:
PV = nRT
so that, if n is constant:
VΔP + PΔV = nRΔT
When P is constant: [itex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{nR}{P}[/itex],
When T is constant: [itex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial P}[/itex] = – [itex]\frac{nRT}{P^{2}}[/itex]

Just pay attention to what's constant and what's not when following your equations. Take the time to understand what you're doing, but you have everything you need.

Goddar said:
Use the equation of state to determine the derivatives. Example:
PV = nRT
so that, if n is constant:
VΔP + PΔV = nRΔT
When P is constant: [itex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{nR}{P}[/itex],
When T is constant: [itex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial P}[/itex] = – [itex]\frac{nRT}{P^{2}}[/itex]

Just pay attention to what's constant and what's not when following your equations. Take the time to understand what you're doing, but you have everything you need.

Here is the work I have done so far. I did use the equations but I was having a hard time understanding in my mind the final values to plug in specifically for the final T value. I assumed it was referring to the final state so I plugged in 400 K. Please let me know if I made any mistakes.
Thanks again for the help.

n79Gj1d.jpg

Ok, you have to be careful when integrating. First with:
ΔV1-2-3 = ([itex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}[/itex])P1 ΔT + ([itex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial P}[/itex])T2 ΔP,
You get:
∫ΔV1-2-3 = Vfinal – Vinitial = ∫([itex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}[/itex])P1 ΔT +∫([itex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial P}[/itex])T2 ΔP = [V(P1,T2) – V(P1,T1)] + [V(T2,P2) – V(T2,P1)]
= R([itex]\frac{ΔT}{P_{1}}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{T_{2}}{P_{2}}[/itex] – [itex]\frac{T_{2}}{P_{1}}[/itex])

So you see that using integrations is purely formal here: at the end you don't have to differentiate or integrate anything.
Also, be careful with your units: atm is not a S.I. unit, so the gas constant must be adjusted if you use atms...

Goddar said:
Ok, you have to be careful when integrating. First with:
ΔV1-2-3 = ([itex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}[/itex])P1 ΔT + ([itex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial P}[/itex])T2 ΔP,
You get:
∫ΔV1-2-3 = Vfinal – Vinitial = ∫([itex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}[/itex])P1 ΔT +∫([itex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial P}[/itex])T2 ΔP = [V(P1,T2) – V(P1,T1)] + [V(T2,P2) – V(T2,P1)]
= R([itex]\frac{ΔT}{P_{1}}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{T_{2}}{P_{2}}[/itex] – [itex]\frac{T_{2}}{P_{1}}[/itex])

So you see that using integrations is purely formal here: at the end you don't have to differentiate or integrate anything.
Also, be careful with your units: atm is not a S.I. unit, so the gas constant must be adjusted if you use atms...

Ok thanks I'm going to take another look at what I did. Will post when I finish.

What is the meaning of "Show that the Change in Volume is Independent of the Path"?

"Show that the Change in Volume is Independent of the Path" is a statement in thermodynamics which means that the change in volume of a system is solely dependent on the initial and final states of the system, and not on the path taken to reach those states.

Why is it important to show that the Change in Volume is Independent of the Path?

It is important to show that the Change in Volume is Independent of the Path because it is a fundamental principle in thermodynamics that helps us understand and predict the behavior of gases and liquids. It also allows us to simplify calculations and make accurate predictions about the behavior of a system.

How is the Change in Volume independent of the path taken?

The Change in Volume is independent of the path taken because it is determined by the initial and final states of a system, and not by the specific steps or processes used to reach those states. This means that as long as the initial and final states are the same, the change in volume will be the same, regardless of the path taken.

Can you provide an example of how the Change in Volume is Independent of the Path?

One example is the expansion of a gas in a container. If the initial and final states are the same, the change in volume will be the same regardless of whether the gas expands slowly or rapidly, or if it undergoes a series of intermediate steps. The only important factor is the initial and final states of the gas.

What other thermodynamic principles are related to the independence of the Change in Volume?

The independence of the Change in Volume is related to other fundamental thermodynamic principles, such as the first law of thermodynamics (conservation of energy) and the second law of thermodynamics (entropy). It also relates to the ideal gas law, which states that the change in volume of an ideal gas is directly proportional to the change in temperature, and inversely proportional to the pressure and amount of gas.