Thermal Physics -- Change of energy from compression

In summary, the passage from the textbook discusses a system in a quantum state with energy dependent on volume. The volume is slowly decreased while the system remains in the same quantum state, and the work done by the pressure appears as a change in energy. The question asks how the system can remain in the same state while the energy is changing, assuming the system is in contact with a thermal reservoir. The attempt at a solution uses the example of a particle in a one-dimensional box to explain how the energy can change while the system remains in the same state.
cdot

Homework Statement

This is not a homework problem but rather a passage from my textbook that I don't understand. I don't think I quite understand the concept of reversible processes. Here is the passage from my book:

"Consider a system in the quantum state s of energy Es. We assume Es to be a function of the volume of the system. The volume is decreased slowly by application of an external force. Let the volume change take place sufficiently slowly that the system remains in the same quantum state s throughout the compression...The mechanical work done on the system by the pressure in a contraction appears as the change of energy of the system."

My question is:
How is it possible that the system can remain in the same quantum state throughout the compression if the energy is changing? (I believe the system under consideration is in contact with a thermal reservoir)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
As an example, think of a particle in the ground state in a one dimensional box of length L. Imagine slowly decreasing L such that the particle is always in the ground state corresponding to the current value of L. Does the energy of the particle change?

1. What is thermal physics?

Thermal physics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter at a microscopic level and how it relates to temperature and heat energy.

2. How does energy change during compression?

During compression, energy is typically converted from work done on the system to internal energy in the form of heat. This causes an increase in temperature and pressure of the system.

3. What factors affect the change in energy during compression?

The change in energy during compression is affected by the initial temperature and pressure of the system, the materials involved, and the amount of work being done on the system.

4. Can thermal energy be converted back to work during compression?

Yes, thermal energy can be converted back to work during compression through the use of a heat engine or other similar devices.

5. How is the change in energy during compression related to the laws of thermodynamics?

The change in energy during compression is governed by the first and second laws of thermodynamics, which state that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can be converted from one form to another, and that in any thermodynamic process, the total entropy of the system and its surroundings always increases.