Show that the differential equation has no solution that satisfies g(0) = 1

In summary: Which gives you a hint that there is something wrong with the conditions, not the differential equation itself.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
hello! I am facing some difficulties at the following exercise. "show that [tex] g(x)=x \cdot F(x) [/tex], where [tex] F(x)=\int_{0}^{x} {s(x)}dt [/tex], [tex] s(x)=\frac{sin(x)}{x} [/tex], satisfies the diffential equation [tex] xy'(x)-y(x)=xsin(x) [/tex], x ε R, and find all the solutions in this space. Show that the differential equation has no solution that satisfies g(0)=1. "
I have shown that g(x) satisfies the equation by replacing y with g. Then I found that all the solutions are [tex] y(x)=x(c+F(x)) [/tex]. Is this right so far?
How can I show that the differential equation has no solution that satisfies g(0)=1??

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Solution of differential equation

mathmari said:
hello! I am facing some difficulties at the following exercise. "show that [tex] g(x)=x \cdot F(x) [/tex], where [tex] F(x)=\int_{0}^{x} {s(x)}dt [/tex], [tex] s(x)=\frac{sin(x)}{x} [/tex], satisfies the diffential equation [tex] xy'(x)-y(x)=xsin(x) [/tex], x ε R, and find all the solutions in this space. Show that the differential equation has no solution that satisfies g(0)=1. "
I have shown that g(x) satisfies the equation by replacing y with g. Then I found that all the solutions are [tex] y(x)=x(c+F(x)) [/tex]. Is this right so far?
How can I show that the differential equation has no solution that satisfies g(0)=1??

Let's write the ODE in the form...

$\displaystyle y^{\ '} = \frac{y}{x} + \sin x\ (1)$

... and the 'standard approach' leads to the solution...

$\displaystyle y = e^{\int \frac{d x}{x}}\ \{\int \sin x\ e^{- \int \frac{d x}{x}}\ dx + c \} = x\ \{ \int \frac{sin x}{x}\ dx + c \} = c\ x + x\ \text{Si}\ (x)\ (2) $

Because in any case is y(0)= 0, no solution exist for the initial condition y(0) =1...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Thank you! I have also an other question :eek:
How could we explain that the fact that no solution exist for the initial condition y(0)=1 doesn't affect the existence of solution theorem ?

mathmari said:
Thank you! I have also an other question :eek:
How could we explain that the fact that no solution exist for the initial condition y(0)=1 doesn't affect the existence of solution theorem ?

An ODE in the form...

$\displaystyle y^{\ '} = f(x,y),\ y(x_{0})= y_{0}\ (1)$

... admits solution in a neighbourhood of $(x_{0},y_{0})$ only if f(x,y) and its first order partial derivatives are continuos in $(x_{0},y_{0})$. In Your case is $\displaystyle f(x,y)= \frac{y}{x} + \sin x$ and this condition isn't verified in $(0,1)$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

So you mean that the theorem is not verified, and that there is no solution? Or do I understand it wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:

mathmari said:
So you mean that the theorem is not verified, and that there is no solution? Or do I understand it wrong?

You understand exactly!... a solution exists for all initial conditions $y(x_{0})=y_{0}$ provided that $x_{0} \ne 0$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

For the exercise I have to show that the fact that no solution exist for the initial condition y(0)=1 does not contradict the theorem. Could you give me a hint how to do this?

Hey mathmari! :)

mathmari said:
For the exercise I have to show that the fact that no solution exist for the initial condition y(0)=1 does not contradict the theorem. Could you give me a hint how to do this?

Can you quote the existence theorem?
What are its conditions?
Are they all satisfied?
If not all conditions are satisfied, this example cannot contradict the theorem since the theorem won't be applicable.

You may find that chisigma has already answered your question.

The existence theorem is:
Let[tex] y'+p(x)y=g(x) [/tex], [tex] y(x_{0})=y_{0} [/tex] be a first order linear differential equation such that [tex] p(x) [/tex] and [tex] g(x) [/tex] are both continuous on an open interval [tex] a<x<b [/tex] and the interval contains [tex] x_{0} [/tex]. Then there is a unique solution on that interval.

At the exercise is [tex] x_{0}=0 [/tex], but [tex] p(x)=-\frac{1}{x} [/tex] isn't continuous on an open interval that contains [tex] 0 [/tex]. Since this condition isn't satisfied, what does this mean?

mathmari said:
The existence theorem is:
Let[tex] y'+p(x)y=g(x) [/tex], [tex] y(x_{0})=y_{0} [/tex] be a first order linear differential equation such that [tex] p(x) [/tex] and [tex] g(x) [/tex] are both continuous on an open interval [tex] a<x<b [/tex] and the interval contains [tex] x_{0} [/tex]. Then there is a unique solution on that interval.

At the exercise is [tex] x_{0}=0 [/tex], but [tex] p(x)=-\frac{1}{x} [/tex] isn't continuous on an open interval that contains [tex] 0 [/tex]. Since this condition isn't satisfied, what does this mean?

Good!

It means that the theorem is not applicable since its preconditions are not satisfied.

The exercise asks me to explain why the fact that there is no solution that satisfies f(0)=1 doesn't contradict the existence theorem. So is the answer that theorem isn't applicable?

Or is the solution [tex]f(0)=1[/tex] maybe a peculiar solution, so the existence theorem can be applicated for [tex] x \neq 0 [/tex]? :confused:

mathmari said:
Or is the solution [tex]f(0)=1[/tex] maybe a peculiar solution, so the existence theorem can be applicated for [tex] x \neq 0 [/tex]? :confused:

In...

http://mathhelpboards.com/differential-equations-17/solution-differential-equation-7571.html#post34482

... it has been demonstrated that the general solution of the ODE...

$\displaystyle y^{\ '} = \frac{y}{x} + \sin x\ (1)$

... is...

$\displaystyle y(x) = c\ x + x\ \text{Si}\ (x)\ (2)$

Now observing (2) You realize that, no matter which is c, is y(0)=0, so that You cannot impose in x=0 other values that y=0... but if You impose $y(0)=0$ what of the infinite values of c gives us the 'right solution'?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

mathmari said:

Here's my take on the problem.

No, [tex]f(0)=1[/tex] is not a peculiar solution.
The existence theorem, as you state it, is not applicable, so that does not tell you if there is a solution for [tex]f(0)=1[/tex].
However, filling in the boundary criterium into the differential equation tells you immediately that there cannot be a solution, since the equation is not satisfied.

Thank you! :D

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model and analyze various physical systems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What does it mean for a differential equation to have no solution?

If a differential equation has no solution, it means that there is no function that satisfies the equation. This could be due to various reasons, such as the equation being inconsistent or the initial conditions not being compatible with the equation.

3. How can you show that a differential equation has no solution?

To show that a differential equation has no solution, you can try to solve the equation and see if the resulting function satisfies the equation. If it does not, then the equation has no solution. Another way is to use mathematical techniques such as the Picard-Lindelöf theorem to prove that a solution does not exist.

4. What does it mean for a solution to satisfy g(0) = 1?

Satisfying g(0) = 1 means that the function g(x) has a value of 1 when x is equal to 0. In the context of a differential equation, this initial condition is often given to specify the unique solution to the equation.

5. Why is it important to determine if a differential equation has no solution?

It is important to determine if a differential equation has no solution because it helps us understand the limitations of the model being used. If a model is not able to accurately describe a system, it may need to be revised or replaced with a more appropriate model. Additionally, knowing that a solution does not exist can also help us identify areas for further research and development.