1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that the given function maps the open unit disk into the upper half plane

1. Sep 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    4. Let w = f(z) = [tex]i(\frac{1-z}{1+z})[/tex]. Show that f maps the open unit disk {z [tex]\in[/tex] C | z < 1} into the upper half-plane {w[tex]\in[/tex] C|Im(w) >0}, and maps the unit circle {z[tex]\in[/tex] C||z|=1} to the real line.

2. Relevant equations
    I was given this hint:

"set w=[tex]i(\frac{1-z}{1+z})[/tex] and use the formula Im(w)= [tex]\frac{1}{2i}[/tex](w -[tex]\bar{w}[/tex])"

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is cliche but, what does this mean in English? I've been trying to decipher some of this stuff, in order for me to know what to do, I must first understand what I'm being asked to do, so that would be my first request.

The second thought I have of this is that the hint given also doesn't mean much to me. So what exactly would be the topic I could read on to help me get more information on this concept I'm being tested on? I'm at a library right now, so if I were to pick up a book on complex variables, what topic more or less is this problem covering?

I need to be pushed on the right direction to solve this problem, right now I'm just more or less in the dark. The set notation is a bit cryptic for me. I get that z is an element of the set of complex numbers, but what exactly is it being said after the "|"?

Thanks!
    And pardon the rough formatting.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2010 #2
    Is it sufficient to show that since for the open disk z < 1, then if I plug a value less than one into w I get a result that is less than one and imaginary, and thus, it maps any point of the open disk into the upper half plane?

The same for the unit circle where |z| = 1. If I plug one I get zero for w, and thus I get the point (0,0) which is in the real line and therefore w maps any point on the unit circle to the real line?

4. Sep 23, 2010 #3

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

So you have shown that the map w, maps boundaries to boundaries, now choose a z with |z|<1 and show that Im(w)>0, so perhaps write [tex]z=re^{i\theta}[/tex] with r<1 and see if Im(w)>0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook