Show that the helium ion is bound

In summary, the conversation discusses using the simple MO method to show that the He2+ ion is bound. The hamiltonian for the system and the total wave function are provided, along with an explanation of the significance of the a's and b's in the wave function. The attempt at a solution involves speculation and consideration of the Pauli principle, and a proposed total wave function that is not physically possible but leads to the same energy. The individual is seeking more theoretical explanations and sources for further understanding.
Oskar Paulsson

Homework Statement

"Use the simple MO method to show that the He2+ ion is bound"

Homework Equations

The hamiltonian for this system is;

H=-(ħ2/2m)∇2 -2ke2[∑3i=11/riB+∑3i=11/riB-2/RAB]

And as far as I know, the total wave function sould be;

ψ = φ1φ2φ3 ... φn , n is the number of electrons and "a reasonable behaviour" for an electron would look like this;

φ= caφa + cbφb

in the course literature they explain this as reasonable for one electron in a diatomic molecule because this one electron is "a little bit influenced by a and a little bit by b".

The a's and b's is for each atom/nuclei.

A bound state has the total wave function:

ψ = 1/√(2+2S)[φab]

The Attempt at a Solution

So far the only 'attempts' I've made at solving this has been pretty much speculation - firstly I'm considering the Pauli principle. From the perspective of the Pauli principle we should have 1 electron in the 1sa orbital and 2 in the 1sb which is equivalent with 2 1sa + 1 1sb.

So the total wavefunction, I speculate to be some thing like;

ψ = ca1sa + cb1sb + 1/√(2)*(ca1sa + cb1sb)

The first term should be an electron which has a b-term that is almost 0 and the next one should be for an electron with an a-term that is almost 0. The third term is for an electron in "superposition" between 1s2a and 1s2b.

So - how to proceed? I am headed in the right direction? Does anyone have a source for some solid math on this whole thing because the course literature isn't very theoretical, it just shows some results and doesn't bother to properly explain anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
The total wave function has to be antisymmetric, but as far as I remember, your approach, while not physically possible, leads to the same energy if you evaluate that. You can compare this energy to the unbound state.

1. How is the helium ion bound?

The helium ion is bound through the electromagnetic force between the positively charged nucleus and the negatively charged electrons. This force keeps the electrons in orbit around the nucleus, creating a stable state for the helium ion.

2. What evidence supports the binding of helium ion?

Experiments involving the ionization energy of helium atoms have provided strong evidence for the binding of helium ion. The amount of energy required to remove an electron from a helium atom is much greater than the energy required to remove an electron from a hydrogen atom, indicating a stronger binding force in the helium ion.

3. What factors affect the binding of helium ion?

The binding of helium ion is affected by factors such as the distance between the nucleus and the electrons, the number of electrons present, and the strength of the electromagnetic force. Additionally, the presence of other ions and molecules in the surrounding environment can also impact the binding of helium ion.

4. How does the binding of helium ion compare to other ions?

The binding of helium ion is relatively weak compared to other ions, such as hydrogen ion or lithium ion. This is due to the fact that helium has a lower nuclear charge and a smaller atomic radius, resulting in a weaker electromagnetic force between the nucleus and electrons.

5. Can the binding of helium ion be broken or disrupted?

Yes, the binding of helium ion can be broken or disrupted through various processes such as collisions with other particles, exposure to high energy radiation, or changes in temperature or pressure. These factors can cause the electrons to gain enough energy to break free from the electromagnetic force and become unbound.