1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that the total eigenfunction must be antisymmetric

1. Apr 20, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

By considering the eigenfunctions for 2 noninteracting particles at distances r1 and r2,
    show that their total eigenfunction must be antisymmetric.
    2. Relevant equations

Spatial wavefunctions:

Ψ(x1,x2) = 1/√2 [ ψA(x1B(x2) ± ψA(x2B(x1)]

Where + gives a symmetric wavefunction and - gives an antisymmetric one.

3. The attempt at a solution

Hi, not really sure what to do with this one. I know that the Pauli exclusion principle says that the total eigenfunction must be antisymmetric for fermions. But the question doesn't mention fermions, just "2 noninteracting particles". I also know that the antisymmetric spin wavefunctions are associated with the symmetric spatial wavefunctions, and vice versa, to produce a total antisymmetric wavefunction, but I don't get why, which is what the question seems to be asking...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2017 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

The question is very poorly worded. The wave function is anti-symmetric with respect to what? Bad questions have no good answers :frown:

4. Apr 21, 2017 #3
    Hi, sorry, I should probably have said a bit more in my OP. Presumably, in the question, the 2 particles are indistinguishable. So it means that eigenfunction must be antisymmetric under particle exchange. ie. that if the particles are swapped, this will give the negative of the original eigenfunction

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted