Show that this Equation Satisfies the Schrodinger Equation

In summary, the author is trying to solve for the wave function of a particle in a box, but is having trouble with the equation.
Zinggy
Homework Statement
Show directly by using the wave function in the Schrodinger equation, that this equation satisfies the Schrödinger equation
Relevant Equations
V(x)=1/2kx^2
E=(5ħ/2)√(k/m)
α=(mk/ħ)^1/4
Ψ(x,t) =ψ (x)φ (t) = √(α)/[2√(2π^1/4)]*e^((-1/2)α^2x^2)[-2+α^2 x^2]e^(-iEt/ħ)
Physics Test 2.png

I apologize for the bad formatting:

To start off, I'm trying to use the Schrodinger Equation in the form: (ħ/2m) d^2Ψ(x,t)/dx^2+V(x,t)Ψ(x,t)=EΨ(x,t)

I couldn't remember if I need to also take the partial derivative with respect to T as well, but I started off with just X.

I plugged in my known values into the equation which gives me the very messy:
(ħ/2m)d^2[√(α)/[2√(2π^1/4)]*e^((-1/2)α^2x^2)[-2+α^2 x^2]e^(-iEt/ħ)]/dx^2 +(1/2kx^2)(√(α)/[2√(2π^1/4)]*e^((-1/2)α^2x^2)[-2+α^2 x^2]e^(-iEt/ħ)) = (5ħ/2)√(k/m)* √(α)/[2√(2π^1/4)]*e^((-1/2)α^2x^2)[-2+α^2 x^2]e^(-iEt/ħ)

This already seemed wrong to me, but I carried on and tried to take the second derivative with respect to X and got the following:

√(α)/[2√(2π^1/4)]*α^2 e^[-1/2(α^2 x^2)] (α^2 x^2 -1) [-2+8α^2)e^[-iEt/ħ] = d^2Ψ(x,t)/dx^2

From here I extracted common terms, giving me:

√(α)/[2√(2π^1/4)] * e^[-iEt/ħ]*e^[-1/2(α^2 x^2)] * {(ħ/2m)α^2(α^2 x^2 -1)[-2+8α^2)+1/2kx^2[-2+4α^2x^2]} = EΨ(x,t)

From this point I divided both sides by √(α)/[2√(2π^1/4)] and e^[-1/2(α^2 x^2)] giving me

e^[-iEt/ħ]* {(ħ/2m)α^2(α^2 x^2 -1)[-2+8α^2)+1/2kx^2[-2+4α^2x^2]} = E([-2+α^2 x^2]e^(-iEt/ħ)]

After this point I don't really know where to go. I don't understand how to isolate and solve for either ψ(x) or φ (t), I also don't know if I should've also taken the second derivative with respect to T as well.
I appreciate any time and Input. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by looking up the Schrödinger equation. The version you're using isn't correct (or you made the same typo multiple times). Also, note that the function you're working with is a function of ##x## and ##t##.

A comment on terminology... You're not trying to show that an equation satisfies the Schrödinger equation; you're trying to show that a wave function satisfies the Schrödinger equation.

I may have not gotten my formatting correct, this is what I'm using as my Schrodinger equation

I found this equation in my Harmonic Oscillator section in my textbook, is this wrong?

Here's what you said in your original post:
Zinggy said:
(ħ/2m) d^2Ψ(x,t)/dx^2+V(x,t)Ψ(x,t)=EΨ(x,t)
You were missing the minus sign in front and you didn't square ##\hbar##. The minus sign makes a big difference.

Note that in the equation you cited in post #3, the function ##u## is a function of only ##x## whereas you're given a function ##\Psi## of ##x## and ##t##, so that's not the equation you want to use.

Ah yes, those were just typos, sorry I didn't do a great job of representing my equations.. Would the question use an equation like this?

Essentially, yes, though that's an intermediate step.

You shouldn't have to be guessing here. Your book should tell you what the time-dependent and time-independent forms of the Schrödinger equation are.

Related to Show that this Equation Satisfies the Schrodinger Equation

1. What is the Schrodinger Equation?

The Schrodinger Equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of a quantum system over time. It is a differential equation that relates the time evolution of the wave function of a quantum system to its energy and potential energy.

2. How do you show that an equation satisfies the Schrodinger Equation?

To show that an equation satisfies the Schrodinger Equation, you must first substitute the equation into the Schrodinger Equation and then solve for the time derivative of the wave function. If the resulting equation is equal to the time derivative of the wave function, then the equation satisfies the Schrodinger Equation.

3. Why is it important to show that an equation satisfies the Schrodinger Equation?

It is important to show that an equation satisfies the Schrodinger Equation because it ensures that the equation accurately describes the behavior of a quantum system. The Schrodinger Equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and any equation that satisfies it can be used to make predictions about the behavior of a quantum system.

4. Can any equation satisfy the Schrodinger Equation?

No, not every equation can satisfy the Schrodinger Equation. The equation must have certain properties, such as being a linear differential equation, in order to satisfy the Schrodinger Equation. Additionally, the equation must accurately describe the behavior of a quantum system, which means it must follow certain rules and principles of quantum mechanics.

5. What are some examples of equations that satisfy the Schrodinger Equation?

Some examples of equations that satisfy the Schrodinger Equation include the free particle wave equation, the harmonic oscillator equation, and the hydrogen atom wave equation. These equations accurately describe the behavior of specific quantum systems and have been extensively studied and used in quantum mechanics.