Show the equality of two expressions

• Thread starter grepecs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expressions
In summary, the homework statement is that the integral \int_{0}^{\tau}F'(k\tau+s)dshas the same statistical properties for each interval of length \tau, and is statistically independent with respect to k.
grepecs

Homework Statement

Show that

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{N-1}e^{\gamma \tau k}\int_{0}^{\tau}F'(k\tau+s)ds[/tex]

can be written as

[tex]\int_{0}^{t}e^{\gamma t'}F'(t')dt'[/tex]

Homework Equations

1. [itex]t=N\tau[/itex]

2. [itex]\int_{0}^{\tau}F'(k\tau+s)ds[/itex] has the same statistical properties for each interval of length [itex]\tau[/itex], and is statistically independent with respect to [itex]k[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I barely know where to start. As a first step, I'm thinking that perhaps "same statistical properties" means that the integral is the same regardless of [itex]k[/itex], so that

[tex]\int_{0}^{\tau}F'(k\tau+s)ds=\int_{0}^{\tau}F'(s)ds,[/tex]

i.e., [itex]k=0[/itex]. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Without the exponential, the first expression would just be a piecewise definition of the second integral, and a substitution would transform them into each other (can you see how? Hint: which argument values are used in F in the first, second, ... integral?). I guess you need the second relevant equation to get the same result including the exponential, but it could be still interesting to make that substitution.

mfb said:
Without the exponential, the first expression would just be a piecewise definition of the second integral, and a substitution would transform them into each other (can you see how? Hint: which argument values are used in F in the first, second, ... integral?). I guess you need the second relevant equation to get the same result including the exponential, but it could be still interesting to make that substitution.

Thanks. That gives me

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{N-1}e^{\gamma \tau k}\int_{k\tau}^{(k+1)\tau}F'(t')dt'[/tex].

What's left now is to move the exponential into the integrand, but I'm not sure how that can be justified.

That I don't know. It does not work for general functions F', but it works if you take the limit N -> infinity (with finite t), and it might work for some special F' even with finite N.

1. How do you show the equality of two expressions?

To show the equality of two expressions, you need to perform algebraic manipulations on both expressions to arrive at the same result. This involves using properties of equality and simplifying both sides until they are equivalent.

2. What are some common properties of equality used to show the equality of two expressions?

Some common properties of equality used to show the equality of two expressions include the reflexive property, symmetric property, transitive property, and substitution property. These properties allow you to manipulate both sides of the equation in a way that preserves equality.

3. Can you show the equality of two expressions without using algebra?

No, algebraic manipulations are necessary to show the equality of two expressions. Without using algebra, it would be difficult to determine if the expressions are truly equal or not.

4. Why is it important to show the equality of two expressions?

Showing the equality of two expressions is important because it allows us to verify the validity of mathematical statements and equations. It also helps us to solve equations and simplify complicated expressions.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to show the equality of two expressions?

There are no shortcuts or tricks to show the equality of two expressions. It requires careful and systematic application of algebraic properties and simplification steps. However, with practice and familiarity with these properties, the process can become easier and more efficient.