1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show the equality of two expressions

1. Apr 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{N-1}e^{\gamma \tau k}\int_{0}^{\tau}F'(k\tau+s)ds[/tex]

can be written as

[tex]\int_{0}^{t}e^{\gamma t'}F'(t')dt'[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

1. [itex]t=N\tau[/itex]

2. [itex]\int_{0}^{\tau}F'(k\tau+s)ds[/itex] has the same statistical properties for each interval of length [itex]\tau[/itex], and is statistically independent with respect to [itex]k[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    I barely know where to start. As a first step, I'm thinking that perhaps "same statistical properties" means that the integral is the same regardless of [itex]k[/itex], so that

[tex]\int_{0}^{\tau}F'(k\tau+s)ds=\int_{0}^{\tau}F'(s)ds,[/tex]

i.e., [itex]k=0[/itex]. Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Without the exponential, the first expression would just be a piecewise definition of the second integral, and a substitution would transform them into each other (can you see how? Hint: which argument values are used in F in the first, second, ... integral?). I guess you need the second relevant equation to get the same result including the exponential, but it could be still interesting to make that substitution.

4. Apr 12, 2015 #3
    Thanks. That gives me

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{N-1}e^{\gamma \tau k}\int_{k\tau}^{(k+1)\tau}F'(t')dt'[/tex].

What's left now is to move the exponential into the integrand, but I'm not sure how that can be justified.

5. Apr 13, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That I don't know. It does not work for general functions F', but it works if you take the limit N -> infinity (with finite t), and it might work for some special F' even with finite N.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted