1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show the two forms of the sample variance are equivalent

1. Sep 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Showthe two forms of the sample variance are equivalent:
    [itex]\frac{1}{n-1}[/itex][itex]\sum_{i=1}^\n (Yi-Ybar)2[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{n(n-1)}[/itex][itex]\sum_{i=1}^\n \sum_{j>i}\n (Yi-Yj)2[/itex]

The first summation is from i=1 to n, the second is i=1 to n and the third is j>i to n. Sorry, I don't know how to format those.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't really know where to begin, so I tried just expanding and cancelling where I could. I know the (n-1) in the denominator on both sides cancel, and then after expanding I get

[itex]\sum (Yi2-2YiYbar + Ybar2[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{n}[/itex][itex]\sum \sum (Yi2-2YiYj+Yj2)[/itex]

Then, I can distribute the 1/n and the summations on the right side. If I do that, and I have a term that does not have j (such as Yi), I can essentially drop the j summation from that term, correct? After I do that, I have the following:

[itex]\sum Yi2[/itex] -2[itex]\sum YiYbar[/itex] + [itex]\sum Ybar2[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{n}[/itex][itex]\sum Yi2 - \frac{2}{n}[/itex][itex]\sum \sum YiYj[/itex]+[itex]\sum \sum Yj2[/itex]

And here's where I'm stuck (assuming I even did everything right to get here, which I doubt). I don't know how to deal with the Yj, among other things. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit: I'm sorry about the terrible formatting. I tried using the LaTex tag buttons and I've looked at the FAQ; not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What you wrote is very hard to read. The problem you're having with formatting comes from mixing HTML tags (e.g., and ) with LaTeX script. Use one or the other, but not both.

Here's your first equation, cleaned up:
    [itex]\frac{1}{n-1} \sum_{i=1}^n (Y_i - Ybar)^2 = \frac{1}{n(n-1)}\sum_{i=1}^n \sum_{j>i}^n (Y_i-Y_j)^2[/itex]

4. Sep 11, 2013 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Even better:
    [tex]\frac{1}{n-1} \sum_{i=1}^n (Y_i - \bar{Y})^2 = \frac{1}{n(n-1)}\sum_{i=1}^{n-1} \sum_{j=i+1}^n (Y_i-Y_j)^2[/tex]
    Note that in the second form, if we have j>i with j going up to n, then i can only go up to (n-1).

5. Sep 11, 2013 #4
    Ah, I see. I was just using the buttons at the top and side. Hopefully I'll get this right this time.

The original equation.

[tex]\frac{1}{n-1} \sum_{i=1}^n (Y_i - \bar{Y})^2 = \frac{1}{n(n-1)}\sum_{i=1}^{n-1} \sum_{j=i+1}^n (Y_i-Y_j)^2[/tex]

Like I said, the (n-1) from both sides cancel, and then I expand both sides

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n(Y_i^2 -2Y_i \bar{Y} + \bar{Y}^2 = \frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n-1} \sum_{j=i+1}^n(Y_i^2 - 2Y_iY_j + 2Y_j^2)[/tex]

I then distribute the summations to all the terms

[itex]\sum_{i=1}^nY_i^2-2 \sum_{i=1}^nY_i\bar{Y} + \sum_{i=1}^n\bar{Y}^2 = \frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n-1} \sum_{j=i+1}^nY_i^2 - \frac{2}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n-1} \sum_{j=i+1}^n Y_iY_j + \frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n-1} \sum_{j=i+1}^nY_j^2[/itex]

I don't really know where to go from here. I know that [itex]\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^nY_i=\bar{Y}[/itex], but I'm not sure what that does from me. I'll still have the j summations to worry about on the right hand side, as well as the Yj terms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted