Show ZXZ is an infinite cyclic group.

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of an infinite cyclic group, specifically ZXZ, which is generated by <1> or <-1>. However, the problem arises when trying to generate elements such as (2,3) as it seems only elements along the diagonal can be generated. It was then clarified that ZXZ can indeed have generators, but more than one is needed to generate the entire group.
Daveyboy

Homework Statement

Show ZXZ is an infinite cyclic group. Under addition of course.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So this obviously is an infinite cyclic group. Z is generated by <1> or <-1>.
The problem I run into here is I think <(1,1)> will only generate elements of the form (a,a) s.t. a is an element of Z, (think along the diagonal). I do not see a way to generate something like (2,3).

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, sorry I was confused, I see that there can not be any generators of ZXZ.

There can be generators. You just need more than one to generate the group. E.g. {(1,0), (0,1)} is a set that generates the whole group.

Related to Show ZXZ is an infinite cyclic group.

1. What is an infinite cyclic group?

An infinite cyclic group is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and an operation that follows certain rules. In this case, the operation is "show ZXZ", and the set of elements is infinite. This means that the group contains an infinite number of elements, and they can be expressed as a sequence that repeats itself.

2. How is the infinite cyclic group "show ZXZ" defined?

The group "show ZXZ" is defined as the set of all integers (positive, negative, and zero) with the operation of addition. This means that the elements in the group are numbers, and the operation is adding them together. The notation "show ZXZ" is used to represent this group, with the "X" representing the integers and the "Z" representing the operation of addition.

3. How is it proven that "show ZXZ" is an infinite cyclic group?

To prove that "show ZXZ" is an infinite cyclic group, we need to show that it has the properties of a cyclic group. First, we need to show that the group is closed under the operation of addition, which means that when we add two elements from the set, the result is also in the set. We also need to show that the group has an identity element (zero) and that every element has an inverse (negative). Finally, we need to show that the group is infinite, which means that we can keep adding elements and never reach an end.

4. What are some examples of elements in "show ZXZ"?

Some examples of elements in "show ZXZ" are 0, 1, -1, 2, -2, 3, -3, and so on. These elements can be expressed as a sequence that repeats itself: 0, 1, -1, 2, -2, 3, -3, 4, -4, and so on. This shows that the group is infinite, as there is no limit to the elements that can be added.

5. How is "show ZXZ" used in mathematics?

"Show ZXZ" is used in mathematics to represent an infinite cyclic group. This group is important in various areas of mathematics, such as abstract algebra and number theory. It is also used in cryptography, where the elements in the group are used to encode and decode messages. The group also has applications in physics, particularly in the study of wave functions and quantum mechanics.