Showing a set of matrices is a group

In summary, To show that the set of nxn diagonal matrices is a group under matrix addition, we need to prove closure, associativity, an identity element, and an inverse. The notation for a general diagonal nxn matrix can be expressed as \left( \begin{array}{c c c c} x_1 & & & \\ & x_2 & & \\ & & ... & \\ & & & x_n \end{array} \right) or as A_{ij} where A is a diagonal nxn matrix.
bennyska

Homework Statement

show the set of nxn diagonal matrices is a group under matrix addition

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

it doesn't say what set the entries are from, so I'm assuming it's reals.
so i need to show that there is closure, it's associative, there's an identity element, and there's an inverse. i know that there's an identity element, the matrix with just zeroes, and i know the inverse is just -A for matrix A. it's addition, so i know that it's associative, and in my head i can tell that there is closure.
my main problem is notation. how to do i actually express this? i.e., what's the general notation for a nxn matrix?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a general diagonal nxn matrix:

[tex]\left( \begin{array}{c c c c} x_1 & & & \\ & x_2 & & \\ & & ... & \\ & & & x_n \end{array} \right)[/tex]

Alternatively, you can say "let A be a diagonal nxn matrix" and index the entries with [itex]A_{ij}[/itex].

1. What is a group?

A group is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of elements and an operation that combines any two elements in the set to produce a third element in the set. The operation must be associative, have an identity element, and have an inverse for each element in the set.

2. How do you show that a set of matrices is a group?

To show that a set of matrices is a group, we need to check for the three properties of a group: closure, associativity, and existence of an identity and inverse elements. We also need to ensure that the operation used to combine the matrices is matrix multiplication, and that the matrices belong to the same set.

3. What is closure in a group?

Closure in a group means that when we combine any two elements in the set using the specified operation, the result is also an element in the set. In the case of matrices, this means that when we multiply two matrices from the set, the resulting matrix is also in the set.

4. How do we show associativity in a group of matrices?

To show associativity in a group of matrices, we need to prove that the order in which we multiply three matrices does not affect the result. This means that for three matrices A, B, and C in the set, (AB)C = A(BC). If this property holds, then the group is associative.

5. What is the identity element in a group of matrices?

The identity element in a group of matrices is the matrix that, when multiplied with any other matrix in the set, gives back the original matrix. In other words, it is the matrix that acts as the neutral element in the set. In most cases, the identity matrix (a square matrix with 1s on the main diagonal and 0s everywhere else) serves as the identity element in a group of matrices.