Linear Harmonic Oscillator Quantum Mechanics

In summary: I'm not sure what kind of help you need. The wavefunction given in the problem is a superposition of the first two stationary states of the oscillator. The coefficients C and 1+√2x are the coefficients of those two stationary states in the superposition. In summary, the given wavefunction is a superposition of the first two stationary states of a linear harmonic oscillator, and the values of energy that can be measured in this state are hf/2 and 3hf/2.
says

Homework Statement

A linear harmonic oscillator with frequency ω = hbar / M is at time t = 0 in the state described by the wave-function:
Ψ(x,0) = C( 1 + √2x) e-x2/2

Determine the values of energy which can be measured in this state.

I'm not really sure where to start this question and was wondering if someone could help me get the ball rolling.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The question asks you to first recognize the eigenfunctions of linear harmonic oscillator. Go look up for it either in your notes or online.

Is there a different between the harmonic oscillator and the linear harmonic oscillator? I have a pretty good understanding of the harmonic oscillator but I can't really find any literature to see if there's a difference between the two.

Linear harmonic oscillator is the one whose potential energy is given by ##\frac{1}{2}m\omega^2x^2##.

Do I have to work with ladder operators for this problem as well?

We know the quantum system has energy, E, which means it is in an energy eigenstate, Ψ. We don't know for certain what energy the system has, but we know the probabilities for various states. Energy must be an eigenvalue of the energy operator, so we say the system is in a superposition of eigenstates:

Ψ = Σ ciΨi

|c|2 is the probability the system has energy Ei

says said:
Do I have to work with ladder operators for this problem as well?
You don't need to.
says said:
We know the quantum system has energy, E, which means it is in an energy eigenstate, Ψ. We don't know for certain what energy the system has, but we know the probabilities for various states. Energy must be an eigenvalue of the energy operator, so we say the system is in a superposition of eigenstates:

Ψ = Σ ciΨi

|c|2 is the probability the system has energy Ei
Yes, you are in the right track. The idea is to expand to given wavefunction into the eigenfunctions of harmonic oscillator. The expansion generally spans all possible eigenfunctions,.i.e. infinity. However, in the particular problem at hand, there should be only a few of them whose expansion coefficients are not vanishing. You task is to find the eigenfunctions which corresponds to these non-vanishing coefficients.

I can't seem to find any reference material on the linear harmonic oscillator. It's all just harmonic oscillator stuff.

Like I know how to derive E1 = 1/2 Hbarw and E2 = 3/2 Hbarw but I don't know if this is what the question is asking.

We are given the solution that at the state at time t = 0 is a superposition of energy eigenstates
Ψ(0) = 1/√2 (Ψ0 + Ψ1)

I don't understand how to get from the original definition of the wavefunction to that.

says said:
I can't seem to find any reference material on the linear harmonic oscillator. It's all just harmonic oscillator stuff.
Check in those references if the potential being discussed satisifes the form I wrote in post #4. Your aim is to find the expression for the first few eigenfunctions.

Hhat = phat2 / 2 + 1/2 ω2 x2

The position operator xhat2 is just = to x so I just wrote x above. I've also set m=1 to get rid of it in the equation and make it a little simpler for now.

Hhat = (-ihbar d/dx)2 + 1/2 ω2 x2

set hbar = 1 because it clutters up the equation.

so (-ibar d/dx)2 = -d2/dx2

Hhat = -1/2 d2/dx2 + 1/2 ω2 x2

H | Ψ > = -1/2 d2 | Ψ > / dx2 + 1/2 ω2 x2 | Ψ>

= E | Ψ>

| Ψ> = e-ωx2/2

Differentiating this twice we get:

d2 | ψ> / dx2 = -ω | Ψ> + ω2x2 | ψ>

H | ψ> = -1/2 ( -ω | ψ > + ω2 x2 | ψ>) + 1/2 ω2 x2 | ψ>)

H | ψ> = ω/2 | ψ> = E | ψ>

E = ω/2
(subbing hbar back in
E=hbarω/2
E=hf

From here I know if we use the a and a+ operators we can find 3/2 hbar/2, 5/2, etc...

I don't understand why the question has defined the wavefunction Ψ(x,0) = C( 1 + √2x) e-x2/2. Could you explain this to me conceptually?

i.e. What is C?

says said:
Hhat = phat2 / 2 + 1/2 ω2 x2

The position operator xhat2 is just = to x so I just wrote x above. I've also set m=1 to get rid of it in the equation and make it a little simpler for now.

Hhat = (-ihbar d/dx)2 + 1/2 ω2 x2

set hbar = 1 because it clutters up the equation.

so (-ibar d/dx)2 = -d2/dx2

Hhat = -1/2 d2/dx2 + 1/2 ω2 x2

H | Ψ > = -1/2 d2 | Ψ > / dx2 + 1/2 ω2 x2 | Ψ>

= E | Ψ>

| Ψ> = e-ωx2/2

Differentiating this twice we get:

d2 | ψ> / dx2 = -ω | Ψ> + ω2x2 | ψ>

H | ψ> = -1/2 ( -ω | ψ > + ω2 x2 | ψ>) + 1/2 ω2 x2 | ψ>)

H | ψ> = ω/2 | ψ> = E | ψ>

E = ω/2
(subbing hbar back in
E=hbarω/2
E=hf
As I said, you only need to know the functional forms of the first few eigenfunctions of (linear) harmonic oscillator, like those given in http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/hosc5.html. Analyze the form of the asked wavefunction ##\psi(x,0)## an compare it to the form of eigenfunctions of the linear harmonic oscillator to find out which of the expansion coefficients, ##c_n##, in the infinite series ##\psi(x,0) = \sum_n c_n u_n(x)##, where ##u_n(x)## is the eigenfunction of harmonic oscillator, have non-zero value.

Just looking at them now! I can see a lot of similarities between the first 4 normalised wavefunctions and the function I have been given in the question.

Now then check which ##c_n##'s for those first few eigenfunctions have nonzero value.

I'm still a bit new to the expansion coefficients. Still trying to understand it all.
I'm a bit lost at this point

Last edited:
I don't understand what alpha or y are in the normalised wavefunctions

or Ci -- it was in my text. I understand the two wave functions are a superposition of each other, but there is no definition in my text as to what Ci is, or any example.

says said:
I don't understand what alpha or y are in the normalised wavefunctions
How ##\alpha## and ##y## are defined is already stated in that page, read more thoroughly.
says said:
I understand the two wave functions are a superposition of each other, but there is no definition in my text as to what Ci is, or any example.
Which wavefunctions are superposition of each other?
If you don't find how to calculate ##c_n## in your text, this means either you haven't read through it scrupulously or the level of the text is too advanced to be considered as introductory level quantum mechanics.

What is Cn called? I could look it up!

says said:
What is Cn called? I could look it up!
Expansion coefficient, sometimes it is also referred to as projection coefficient.

I've read through a few different bits on expansion coefficient but I'm still really confused...

Are you familiar with Dirac notation? Something which looks like ##| \ldots \rangle##.

Yes

In Dirac notation, the state ##\psi(x,0)## can be written as ##|\psi(x,0)\rangle## and its expansion will look like ##|\psi(x,0) \rangle = \sum_n c_n |u_n\rangle##, where ##|u_n\rangle## are eigenstate of harmonic oscillator. Now these eigenfunctions are a set of orthonormal vectors, which means ##\langle u_m|u_n\rangle = \delta_{mn}##, i.e. that inner product will vanish unless ##m=n##. Now you have an infinite terms in ##\sum_n c_n |u_n\rangle##, if you want to "filter out" just one particular coefficient, say ##c_p##, out of that series using the orthonormality property, what you will do?

Sorry I'm still a bit confused. I don't understand what Un, Um, δmn, m or n mean...

##|u_n\rangle## and ##|u_m\rangle## are two eigenstates of harmonics oscillator, with ##m,n=0,1,2,\ldots##. ##\delta_{mn}## is the so-called kronecker Dirac delta symbol and it has the values
$$
\delta_{mn} = \left\{
\begin{array}{lr}
1 & : m=n\\
0 & : m\neq n
\end{array}
\right.
$$
I think you seriously need to review your textbook from the introductory chapter. It's strange that you could give a sufficient explanation for the meaning of state expansion in post #5 yet you don't know yet what those notations mean.

Where should I start? I really wish I had a text that started with first principles.

I recommend "introduction to quantum mechanics" by D. Griffith.

Thanks, i will have a read. Anything in particular I should look at?

Put emphasis on chapter 2 and 3.

says said:

Homework Statement

A linear harmonic oscillator with frequency ω = hbar / M is at time t = 0 in the state described by the wave-function:
Ψ(x,0) = C( 1 + √2x) e-x2/2

Determine the values of energy which can be measured in this state.

I'm not really sure where to start this question and was wondering if someone could help me get the ball rolling.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The idea is to write the wave function given to you as a linear combination of the harmonic oscillator wave functions. By that I mean you write

[tex] \Psi(x,0) = C_0 \Psi_0(x,0) + C_1 \Psi_1(x,0) + C_2 \Psi_2(x,0) + \ldots [/tex]

where the coefficients ##C_0,C_1,C_2 \ldots ## are unknowns for now and by ##\Psi_0(x,0), \Psi_1(x,0) \ldots ## I mean the wave functions of the harmonic oscillator corresponding to n=0, n=1, n=2, etc.

Now, your goal is to determine the values of the unknown coefficients ##C_0,C_1,C_2 \ldots ##. In fact, you need to do something simpler: just determine which ones are nonzero. Do you see how to do that? (hint: you must work with each power of x times the exponential separately.)

1. What is a linear harmonic oscillator in quantum mechanics?

A linear harmonic oscillator is a quantum mechanical system in which the potential energy function is proportional to the square of the displacement from the equilibrium position. This type of system can be found in various physical systems, such as mass-spring systems and diatomic molecules.

2. What is the Schrödinger equation for a linear harmonic oscillator?

The Schrödinger equation for a linear harmonic oscillator is a second-order differential equation that describes the time evolution of the quantum state of the system. It is given by HΨ = EΨ, where H is the Hamiltonian operator and Ψ is the wave function of the system.

3. What are the energy levels of a linear harmonic oscillator?

The energy levels of a linear harmonic oscillator are quantized, meaning they can only take on certain discrete values. The lowest energy level, also known as the ground state, has an energy of (1/2)ℏω, where ℏ is the reduced Planck's constant and ω is the angular frequency of the oscillator. The energy levels increase in increments of ℏω.

4. How does the wave function for a linear harmonic oscillator change over time?

The wave function for a linear harmonic oscillator will oscillate sinusoidally over time, with a frequency of ω. This is because the Hamiltonian operator for a linear harmonic oscillator contains a term that represents the potential energy, which is proportional to the square of the displacement from the equilibrium position.

5. What is the uncertainty principle for a linear harmonic oscillator?

The uncertainty principle for a linear harmonic oscillator states that the product of the uncertainties in the position and momentum of the oscillator cannot be smaller than ℏ/2. This means that the more precisely we know the position of the oscillator, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa.