1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing sup{f(x)} - inf{f(x)} >= sup{|f(x)|} - inf{|f(x)|}

1. Feb 6, 2012 #1
    Hello, below I have typed the problem and drew a diagram to help me think about the problem.

MMMMM.png

It seems intuitive to me that [itex]M \leq M'[/itex] since M' might be the absolute value of the most extreme negative f value that is greater in magnitude than the most extreme positive f value. Also, [itex]m \leq m' [/itex] since [itex]m' \geq 0[/itex] and m could be negative.

Is this type of problem best handled with cases such as Case 1: [itex]f(x) \leq 0[/itex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2012 #2

Bacle2

Science Advisor

I think working out the individual cases may do it. It seems to come down to showing
    that:

A-B ≥ |A|-|B|

So that you get equality. Only real case is when A,B have different signs. Maybe
    you can show it geometrically, using |X| asthe distance from X to a fixed value
    (thinking of 0 in the real line).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook