Showing that a given function is continous over a certain topology

In summary, the conversation discusses the continuity of the functions h and g under different topologies. The definition of continuity in topology is mentioned, and there is confusion about how to apply it to these specific functions. The solution for function g is discussed, where an open set is taken and the limit is used to show that the pre-image is a closed singleton. The connection between the open set and the pre-image is questioned, and an example is given using Wikipedia's description of the box topology.
trap101
Consider the maps h: R^w (omega) ---> R^w (omega) , h (x1, x2, x3,...) = (x1,4x2, 9x3,...)
g: (same dimension mapping) , g (t) = (t, t, t, t, t,...)

Is h continuous whn given the product topology, box topology, uniform topology?

For the life of me i am having trouble trying to understand what i need to do to accomplish this. I know that the definition of continuous in topology is that the pre image f^-1 (v) of an open set v has to be open, but how do i apply that to this sort of situation?

Take the function h, am i assuming that (x1, 4x2, 9x3,...) is my open set or am i going to take an arbitrary basis element of my open set that looks like (x1, 4x2, 9x3,...) apply the preimage to that, and then if it is open then i can conclude the function is continuous?

I saw a solution for the function g, and they said it is not open in the box topology. They took th open set [-1/(n^2) , 1/(n^2)] and said taking the inverse image of g the set is {0}. How did they do this? I fail to see the connection. Please help I've been stuck here all day tryimg to make sense of this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I imagine that for g, they were taking the limit as ##n \to \infty##. This would give you an open set for the image, but in the limit, the pre-image is the closed singleton {0}.

RUber said:
I imagine that for g, they were taking the limit as ##n \to \infty##. This would give you an open set for the image, but in the limit, the pre-image is the closed singleton {0}.
Yes, but how do they get that singleton is my question. Is it that you look at each inverse image of each coordinate function individually and take the intersection of those , which produces the common point 0?

Assume that ##U## is an open set ##U=(-1/n^2, 1/n^2)##, for ##V=g^{-1}(U) ## to be open, there must be ##\epsilon \in V, \, \epsilon \neq 0 ##, such that ##g(\epsilon) \in U##. But for any epsilon, there is an ##n ## that makes ##g(\epsilon) \notin U##.
You could also think of ##U = (-\epsilon, \epsilon)## if this helps.
Wikipedia uses exactly this example to describe how box topology fails at continuity tests: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_topology

1. What is a topology?

A topology is a mathematical concept that defines the properties of a set and its subsets, specifically how the elements of the set are related to each other. It provides a framework for determining the continuity of functions.

2. How do you show that a function is continuous over a certain topology?

To show that a function is continuous over a certain topology, you must prove that the pre-image of an open set in the range is an open set in the domain. This can be done by using the epsilon-delta definition of continuity or by showing that the function preserves the topological structure.

3. What is the difference between pointwise continuity and topological continuity?

Pointwise continuity refers to the continuity of a function at a specific point, while topological continuity considers the continuity of a function over an entire set or domain. Topological continuity is a stronger concept as it takes into account the behavior of a function over a range of points.

4. Can a function be continuous over one topology but not another?

Yes, a function can be continuous over one topology but not another. This is because different topologies may have different open sets, which can affect the continuity of a function. For example, a function may be continuous over the Euclidean topology, but not over the discrete topology.

5. What is the importance of showing that a function is continuous over a certain topology?

Showing that a function is continuous over a certain topology is important in many areas of mathematics and science. It allows us to analyze the behavior of functions and make predictions about their outputs. It is also crucial in understanding the properties of spaces and their relationships, which has applications in fields such as topology, geometry, and physics.