1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing that a given metric is Riemannian

1. Feb 12, 2012 #1
    So I have the hyperboloid in [itex] \mathbb{R}^3 [/itex] given by [itex] x^2 + y^2 - z^2 = -1 [/itex]. I define the scalar product of 2 tangent vectors (a1, b1, c1) and (a2, b2, c2) at a point as a1a2 + b1b2 - c1c2.

I want to show that this defines a Riemannian metric on the hyperboloid. I know that a Riemannian metric must be linear, symmetric, and positive definite. Linearity and symmetry I have checked easily but I am confused on the positive definite portion. The problem tells me to show that it is a Riemannian metric but it seems like it does not satisfy the positive definite requirement. The matrix associated with [itex] a_1^2 + b_1^2 - c_1^2 [/itex] is just the 3x3 identity matrix with the (3, 3) entry being -1 instead of 1. Thus, the eigenvalues of this matrix are 1, 1, and -1 so it seems to me that this is actually indefinite since the eigenvalues are not all the same sign.

Am I correct in saying this or is there something I am missing? thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted