Showing that a given metric is Riemannian

• Thread starter demonelite123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metric
In summary, a Riemannian metric is a mathematical concept used to measure distances and angles on a curved surface. To demonstrate that a given metric is Riemannian, one must show that it satisfies the properties of symmetry, positive definiteness, and compatibility with the manifold structure. The use of Riemannian metrics has benefits in fields such as general relativity, differential geometry, optimization, and machine learning. However, not all metrics can be Riemannian, as they must meet certain criteria. A Riemannian metric differs from other metrics by its ability to calculate geometric quantities and take into account the curvature of the space.
demonelite123
So I have the hyperboloid in [itex] \mathbb{R}^3 [/itex] given by [itex] x^2 + y^2 - z^2 = -1 [/itex]. I define the scalar product of 2 tangent vectors (a1, b1, c1) and (a2, b2, c2) at a point as a1a2 + b1b2 - c1c2.

I want to show that this defines a Riemannian metric on the hyperboloid. I know that a Riemannian metric must be linear, symmetric, and positive definite. Linearity and symmetry I have checked easily but I am confused on the positive definite portion. The problem tells me to show that it is a Riemannian metric but it seems like it does not satisfy the positive definite requirement. The matrix associated with [itex] a_1^2 + b_1^2 - c_1^2 [/itex] is just the 3x3 identity matrix with the (3, 3) entry being -1 instead of 1. Thus, the eigenvalues of this matrix are 1, 1, and -1 so it seems to me that this is actually indefinite since the eigenvalues are not all the same sign.

Am I correct in saying this or is there something I am missing? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. You are correct in noticing that the matrix associated with the scalar product you defined is not positive definite. However, this does not necessarily mean that it is not a Riemannian metric.

In order to show that a metric is positive definite, we need to check that for any tangent vector v at a point p, the scalar product of v with itself is greater than zero. In this case, we have a scalar product defined for any two tangent vectors at a point, not just for a tangent vector with itself. Therefore, we cannot use the eigenvalues of the matrix to determine whether it is positive definite or not.

To show that this scalar product defines a Riemannian metric, we need to check that it satisfies three conditions: linearity, symmetry, and positive definiteness. We have already established that it is linear and symmetric. Now, to show that it is positive definite, we need to show that for any tangent vector v at a point p, the scalar product of v with itself is greater than zero. This can be done by plugging in the components of v into the scalar product formula and simplifying the expression to show that it is greater than zero.

I hope this clarifies your confusion. Keep up the good work in your studies of Riemannian geometry!

1. What is a Riemannian metric?

A Riemannian metric is a mathematical concept that allows for the measurement of distances and angles on a curved surface. It is defined as a positive definite inner product on the tangent space at each point of a manifold.

2. How do you show that a given metric is Riemannian?

To show that a given metric is Riemannian, one must demonstrate that it satisfies the three properties of a Riemannian metric: symmetry, positive definiteness, and compatibility with the manifold structure. This can be done through various mathematical techniques such as computation of the metric tensor or use of the Levi-Civita connection.

3. What are the benefits of using a Riemannian metric?

Riemannian metrics are useful in the study of curved spaces, such as in general relativity and differential geometry. They allow for the calculation of geometric quantities, such as curvature and geodesics, which are essential in understanding the properties of a manifold. Additionally, Riemannian metrics have applications in fields such as optimization and machine learning.

4. Can any metric be a Riemannian metric?

No, not all metrics can be Riemannian. A metric must satisfy the three properties mentioned earlier to be considered Riemannian. Additionally, the underlying manifold must be smooth and have a well-defined tangent space at each point.

5. How is a Riemannian metric different from other metrics?

A Riemannian metric is a special type of metric that is specific to curved spaces. It differs from other metrics, such as the Euclidean metric, in that it allows for the measurement of distances and angles on a curved surface. It also takes into account the curvature of the space, whereas other metrics do not.