1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing that a particular G_delta set exists with a measure property

1. Aug 26, 2013 #1
    png_zps63374024.png

Ok, I don't think I'm on the right track here. I ASSUMED that the set of all countable collections [itex]\{I_k\}_{k = 1}^\infty[/itex] of nonempty open, bounded intervals such that [itex]E \subseteq \bigcup_{k = 1}^\infty I_k[/itex] is a countable set itself, which it probably isn't.

I'm not even sure where to start on this problem. I feel like I need to use the assumption that E is bounded. I know if E is bounded, then E can be covered by a finite number of nonempty open, bounded intervals.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2013 #2
    It's not. If you had a countable family of covers of this type, could you show that their intersection was a [itex]G_\delta[/itex] set? Presumably that's the direction that you were going with this part of the argument. Then you'd at least have a [itex]G_\delta[/itex] cover, and all that is left is to rig it so that it has the correct measure.

You have a decent start. You just don't have any control (measure-wise) over your covers. You need to use the assumption that [itex]E[/itex] is bounded to get that control. If [itex]E[/itex] is bounded, what can you say about its outer measure?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted