Showing that the union of conjugates is less than |G|

• I
  • Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Union
In summary: Because the orbit of an element in a subgroup is the set of all elements that can be reached via conjugation from that element, while the orbit of a set is the set itself.
Mr Davis 97
Here is a problem statement: Let ##H## be a proper subgroup of a finite group ##G##. Prove that the union of the conjugates of ##H## is not all of ##G##.

I have proven this statement by considering the action of ##G## on ##\mathcal{P}(G)##. But this leads me to wonder: In the problem statement is there any reason why ##H## must be a subgroup? Am I right in saying that the statement seems true for any ##S## such that ##S\subset G##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
Here is a problem statement: Let ##H## be a proper subgroup of a finite group ##G##. Prove that the union of the conjugates of ##H## is not all of ##G##.

I have proven this statement by considering the action of ##G## on ##\mathcal{P}(G)##. But this leads me to wonder: In the problem statement is there any reason why ##H## must be a subgroup? Am I right in saying that the statement seems true for any ##S## such that ##S\subset G##?
Define ##S := \{\,g \in G=\operatorname{Sym}(3)\,|\,g\neq (13)\,\}.## Now what is ##(12)(23)(12) \in gSg^{-1}\,?##

fresh_42 said:
Define ##S := \{\,g \in G=\operatorname{Sym}(3)\,|\,g\neq (13)\,\}.## Now what is ##(12)(23)(12) \in gSg^{-1}\,?##
##(12)(23)(12) = (13) \not \in S##... For some reason I'm not seeing the significance of this. Is conjugation supposed to be closed?

The statement was:
Mr Davis 97 said:
Let ##H## be a proper subgroup of a finite group ##G##. Prove that the union of the conjugates of ##H## is not all of ##G##.
and you asked:
Mr Davis 97 said:
Am I right in saying that the statement seems true for any ##S## such that ##S\subset G?##
Now I defined a subset ##S=G-\{\,(13)\,\}## of ##G=\operatorname{Sym}(3)## with ##G=eSe^{-1} \cup (12)S(12)^{-1}##, which is a counterexample.

Likes Mr Davis 97
fresh_42 said:
The statement was:

and you asked:

Now I defined a subset ##S=G-\{\,(13)\,\}## of ##G=\operatorname{Sym}(3)## with ##G=eSe^{-1} \cup (12)S(12)^{-1}##, which is a counterexample.
So what property of subgroups am I using in my proof that is not satisfied with just subsets? Would I need to write out my proof for you to know?

Mr Davis 97 said:
So what property of subgroups am I using in my proof that is not satisfied with just subsets? Would I need to write out my proof for you to know?
Well, I don't know a proof and thought it would be wrong. But then I recognized that conjugation keeps properties like signature, determinant, order etc. invariant, and that this might be the cause why conjugates can't reach every element, same as you cannot get determinant ##-1## matrices from determinant ##1## matrices by conjugation. But that's only a heuristic, along which I would try to prove the statement.

In the counterexample, I made use of the fact that I can switch inside a subgroup ##H## from one element to another, so I took a subset minus an element ##(13)## such that I could still reach my element by conjugation and destroyed the subgroup structure by taking it away. In a subgroup, you can't do this. I suppose you used the orbit-stabilizer formula to divide ##G## in cosets ##gHg^{-1}##. They all have the same number of elements, which I think is not true anymore for subsets.

Likes Mr Davis 97
https://math.stackexchange.com/a/121534/207516 gives a solution to the problem of showing that if ##H < G## and ##|G| < \infty## then ##\bigcup_{g\in G}gHg^{-1} \not = G##. I can understand the solution pretty well, but I am a bit confused by what the action actually is. He says "Let ##G## act by conjugation," but what does this mean exactly? Is ##G## acting on the set of all subsets, or is it acting on something else?

Mr Davis 97 said:
https://math.stackexchange.com/a/121534/207516 gives a solution to the problem of showing that if ##H < G## and ##|G| < \infty## then ##\bigcup_{g\in G}gHg^{-1} \not = G##. I can understand the solution pretty well, but I am a bit confused by what the action actually is. He says "Let ##G## act by conjugation," but what does this mean exactly? Is ##G## acting on the set of all subsets, or is it acting on something else?
##G## acts via conjugation on itself: ##(g,h) \longmapsto g.h := ghg^{-1}##. The orbit of an element ##h## are all elements ##ghg^{-1}## and the orbit of a set ##H## is ##\{\,ghg^{-1}\,|\,g\in G,h\in H\,\}##. So the corresponding homomorphism (or if you like representation) is ##\varphi\, : \,G \longrightarrow \operatorname{Sym}(G)## defined by ##\varphi(g)(h)=ghg^{-1}.##

Likes Mr Davis 97
fresh_42 said:
##G## acts via conjugation on itself: ##(g,h) \longmapsto g.h := ghg^{-1}##. The orbit of an element ##h## are all elements ##ghg^{-1}## and the orbit of a set ##H## is ##\{\,ghg^{-1}\,|\,g\in G,h\in H\,\}##. So the corresponding homomorphism (or if you like representation) is ##\varphi\, : \,G \longrightarrow \operatorname{Sym}(G)## defined by ##\varphi(g)(h)=ghg^{-1}.##
Why is it clear that this action is ##G## acting on itself rather than ##G## acting on its set of subsets?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Why is it clear that this action is ##G## acting on itself rather than ##G## acting on its set of subsets?
I haven't seen any. It is considered what conjugation does to ##H##, but there was no set of sets. E.g. one could consider ##G/H## or ##G\backslash H##, but then we had to say something about ##gg'Hg^{-1}## or ##gHg'g^{-1}## which didn't occur. It's usually the entire group, because you can still consider orbits of entire subsets, as e.g. ##H##. To restrict the conjugation on something else, this something else has to be mentioned in the first place. Additionally we are interested in the entity of all group elements, not just a few in a subset. And the orbit-stabilizer theorem or ... formula is applied to ##G## acting on ##X=H##. It makes simply no difference: the conjugation is the same and ##X=H## is a set, not a set of sets, and the operation is elementwise.

Correction: ##X=G## for otherwise we would leave the set ##G## acts on.

Last edited:
Likes Mr Davis 97

1. What is the significance of showing that the union of conjugates is less than |G|?

Showing that the union of conjugates is less than |G| is significant because it helps us understand the structure of a group G. It tells us that the number of distinct conjugacy classes in G is less than the order of the group, which can provide insights into the group's properties and relationships between its elements.

2. How do you define the union of conjugates in a group?

The union of conjugates in a group is the set of all elements in the group that are conjugate to a given element. In other words, it is the collection of all elements that can be obtained by applying the group's conjugation operation to a specific element.

3. What is the importance of conjugacy in group theory?

Conjugacy is an important concept in group theory because it helps us understand the relationships between elements in a group. Conjugate elements share many properties and behave similarly in certain operations, making it easier to classify and analyze them.

4. How do you prove that the union of conjugates is less than |G|?

The most common way to prove that the union of conjugates is less than |G| is by using the class equation. This equation relates the order of a group to the number of conjugacy classes in the group and the sizes of those classes. By using this equation and the fact that each element is in its own conjugacy class, we can show that the union of conjugates is less than |G|.

5. Can the union of conjugates ever be equal to |G|?

No, the union of conjugates can never be equal to |G|. This is because the class equation states that the sum of the sizes of all conjugacy classes in a group is equal to the order of the group. Since each element is in its own conjugacy class, the sum of the sizes of all conjugacy classes will always be less than the order of the group, meaning the union of conjugates will always be less than |G|.