Shunt feedback amplifier circuit

In summary, the homework statement states that the transistor's AC model has two nodes, and that the b-e junction resistance is r_\pi=(\beta+1)r_e. TheAttempt at a Solution calculates the voltage at node 1 as -\beta i_b R_BR_C, and the voltage at node 2 as i_b(\beta+1)r_e. Plugging these back into the homework equation for iin yields i_{in}=i_b\left ( \frac{R_B+r_\pi}{R_B}+\dfrac{\beta R_C}{R_B+R_C} \right ). Calculating
favq

Homework Statement

The attached figure shows a "shunt feedback amplifier" circuit, and its AC equivalent model.
shuntfeedback.png

Verify that:
[tex]r_T = \dfrac{v_{out}}{i_{in}}=\dfrac{-R_B}{1+\dfrac{R_B+r_\pi}{(1+\beta)R_C}}[/tex]
(assuming [itex]R_B\gg r_e[/itex], where [itex]r_\pi=(\beta+1)r_e[/itex].)

Homework Equations

In the transistor's AC model, the b-e junction resistance [itex]r_\pi[/itex] is defined as [itex]r_\pi=(\beta+1)r_e[/itex], where [itex]r_e[/itex] is a very small resistance.

The Attempt at a Solution

Equation for Node 1:
[tex]i_{in}=i_b+\dfrac{v_{be}-v_{out}}{R_B}[/tex]
Since [itex]v_{be} = i_br_\pi[/itex]:
[tex]i_{in}=i_b+\dfrac{i_br_\pi-v_{out}}{R_B}[/tex]
[tex]i_{in}=\dfrac{i_b(R_B+r_\pi)-v_{out}}{R_B}[/tex]

Equation for Node 2:
[tex]\dfrac{i_br_\pi-v_{out}}{R_B}=\beta i_b + \dfrac{v_{out}}{R_C}[/tex]
[tex]v_{out} \left ( \dfrac{1}{R_C} + \dfrac{1}{R_B} \right ) = i_b \left ( \dfrac{r_\pi}{R_B} - \beta \right )[/tex]
Since [itex]r_\pi=(\beta+1)r_e[/itex]:
[tex]v_{out} \left ( \dfrac{1}{R_C} + \dfrac{1}{R_B} \right ) = i_b \left ( \dfrac{(\beta+1)r_e}{R_B} - \beta \right )[/tex]
[tex]v_{out} \left ( \dfrac{1}{R_C} + \dfrac{1}{R_B} \right ) = i_b(\beta+1) \left ( \dfrac{r_e}{R_B} - \dfrac{\beta}{\beta+1} \right )[/tex]
Since [itex]R_B\gg r_e[/itex], I tried to neglect [itex]\dfrac{r_e}{R_B}[/itex], making it 0:
[tex]v_{out} \left ( \dfrac{1}{R_C} + \dfrac{1}{R_B} \right ) = i_b(\beta+1) \left ( 0 - \dfrac{\beta}{\beta+1} \right )[/tex]
[tex]v_{out} \left ( \dfrac{1}{R_C} + \dfrac{1}{R_B} \right ) = - \beta i_b[/tex]
[tex]v_{out} = -\dfrac{\beta i_bR_BR_C}{R_B+R_C}[/tex]

Plugging this back into the expression for iin:
[tex]i_{in}=\dfrac{i_b(R_B+r_\pi)+\dfrac{\beta i_bR_BR_C}{R_B+R_C}}{R_B}[/tex]
[tex]i_{in}=i_b\left ( \frac{R_B+r_\pi}{R_B}+\dfrac{\beta R_C}{R_B+R_C} \right )[/tex]
[tex]i_{in}=i_b\left ( \frac{(R_B+r_\pi)(R_B+R_C)+\beta R_BR_C}{R_B(R_B+R_C)} \right )[/tex]
Calculating [itex]\dfrac{v_{out}}{i_{in}}[/itex]:
[tex]\dfrac{v_{out}}{i_{in}}=\left (-\dfrac{\beta R_BR_C}{R_B+R_C} \right )\left(\frac{R_B(R_B+R_C)}{(R_B+r_\pi)(R_B+R_C)+\beta R_BR_C} \right )[/tex]
[tex]\dfrac{v_{out}}{i_{in}}=-\frac{R_B(\beta R_BR_C)}{(R_B+r_\pi)(R_B+R_C)+\beta R_BR_C}[/tex]
[tex]\dfrac{v_{out}}{i_{in}}=-\frac{R_B(\beta R_BR_C)}{R_B^2+R_BR_C+R_Br_\pi+R_Cr_\pi+\beta R_BR_C}[/tex]
[tex]\dfrac{v_{out}}{i_{in}}=-\frac{R_B}{\dfrac{R_B}{\beta R_C}+ \dfrac{1}{\beta}+\dfrac{r_\pi}{\beta R_C}+\dfrac{r_\pi}{\beta R_B} +1}[/tex]
[tex]\dfrac{v_{out}}{i_{in}}=-\frac{R_B}{\dfrac{R_B+r_\pi}{\beta R_C}+ \dfrac{1}{\beta}+\dfrac{r_\pi}{\beta R_B} +1}[/tex]
If I neglect [itex]\dfrac{1}{\beta}[/itex] as 0, and neglect [itex]\dfrac{r_\pi}{\beta R_B} = \dfrac{(\beta+1)r_e}{\beta R_B}[/itex] (since [itex]R_B\gg r_e[/itex]), I get:
[tex]\dfrac{v_{out}}{i_{in}}=-\frac{R_B}{\dfrac{R_B+r_\pi}{\beta R_C} +1}[/tex]
This is very close to the desired result, but not equal. Am I missing something?
Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Two remarks:
(1) What about Rin ? Did you forget the influence of Rin?
(EDIT: OK, only now I have realized that you are asking for Vout/Iin).
(2) The "very small resistance re" is identical to re=1/gm (with transconductance gm=Ic/Vt ; Vt: temeprature voltage).

Likes favq
Thank you for the reply.
I didn't include [itex]R_{IN}[/itex] in the calculations because, in the KCL equation for Node 1, I think I can just use the quantity [itex]i_{in}[/itex] as the current going into Node 1 from the input source.
I could have written [itex] \dfrac{v_{in}-v_{be}}{R_{IN}} [/itex] instead of [itex]i_{in}[/itex] as the current going into Node 1 from the input source, but, since the result I'm trying to verify is in terms of just [itex]i_{in}[/itex] (not [itex]v_{in}[/itex] and [itex]R_{IN}[/itex]), I just wrote [itex]i_{in}[/itex].

OK - I see.
But, as far as I can see, the difference between both results is just in the denominator: β vs. (β+1), correct?
This difference is really negligible. Don`t forget that β is (a) very large and (b) has very large tolerances.

Likes favq
Hi favq,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

I think I would hold off using approximations until a bit later in the derivation. Find an expression for ##v_{out}/i_{in}## first from the node equations. There will be a lot of algebra, but when the smoke clears you should get something like:

##\frac{v_{out}}{v_{in}} = \frac{(r_\pi - \beta R_B) R_C}{\beta R_C + R_C +R_B + r_\pi}##

This way you'll rule out any missing any multipliers that might have made the early approximation problematical.
You should be able to work from there towards your goal.

Likes favq
gneill said:
Hi favq,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

I think I would hold off using approximations until a bit later in the derivation. Find an expression for ##v_{out}/i_{in}## first from the node equations. There will be a lot of algebra, but when the smoke clears you should get something like:

##\frac{v_{out}}{v_{in}} = \frac{(r_\pi - \beta R_B) R_C}{\beta R_C + R_C +R_B + r_\pi}##

This way you'll rule out any missing any multipliers that might have made the early approximation problematical.
You should be able to work from there towards your goal.

Don't you mean: ##\frac{v_{out}}{i_{in}} = \frac{(r_\pi - \beta R_B) R_C}{\beta R_C + R_C +R_B + r_\pi}##

The Electrician said:
Don't you mean: ##\frac{v_{out}}{i_{in}} = \frac{(r_\pi - \beta R_B) R_C}{\beta R_C + R_C +R_B + r_\pi}##
Yes indeed. That's a typo on my part. Thanks for catching that.

Thank you all for the feedback.
Following gneill's suggestion, I redid this problem delaying the approximations, and I got the expected result.
For reference, here is my new solution:
I'm going to start again from this point (which is right before I applied the [itex]R_B\gg r_e[/itex] approximation):
[tex]v_{out} \left ( \dfrac{1}{R_C} + \dfrac{1}{R_B} \right ) = i_b \left ( \dfrac{r_\pi}{R_B} - \beta \right )[/tex]
[tex]v_{out} = i_b \dfrac{(r_\pi - \beta R_B)R_C}{R_B+R_C}[/tex]
Plugging this [itex]v_{out}[/itex] expression back into the [itex]i_{in}[/itex] expression:
[tex]i_{in}=i_b\dfrac{(R_B+r_\pi)- \dfrac{(r_\pi - \beta R_B)R_C}{R_B+R_C} }{R_B}[/tex]
[tex]i_{in}=i_b\dfrac{(R_B+r_\pi)(R_B+R_C)-(r_\pi - \beta R_B)R_C}{R_B(R_B+R_C)}[/tex]
Calculating [itex]\dfrac{v_{out}}{i_{in}}[/itex]:
[tex]\dfrac{v_{out}}{i_{in}}= \dfrac{(r_\pi - \beta R_B)R_C}{R_B+R_C} \dfrac{R_B(R_B+R_C)}{(R_B+r_\pi)(R_B+R_C)-(r_\pi - \beta R_B)R_C}[/tex]
[tex]\dfrac{v_{out}}{i_{in}}= \dfrac{(r_\pi - \beta R_B)R_CR_B}{(R_B+r_\pi)(R_B+R_C)-(r_\pi - \beta R_B)R_C}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{v_{out}}{i_{in}} = \frac{(r_\pi - \beta R_B) R_C}{\beta R_C + R_C +R_B + r_\pi} = \frac{(r_\pi - \beta R_B) R_C}{(\beta+1)R_C +R_B + r_\pi}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{v_{out}}{i_{in}} = \frac{((\beta+1))r_e - \beta R_B) R_C}{(\beta + 1)R_C +R_B + r_\pi}[/tex]
Dividing the numerator and denominator by [itex](\beta+1)R_C[/itex]:
[tex]\frac{v_{out}}{i_{in}} = \frac{r_e - \left (\dfrac{\beta}{\beta+1} \right ) R_B}{1 + \dfrac{R_B+r_\pi}{(1+\beta)R_C}}[/tex]
Now, I will make [itex]\dfrac{\beta}{\beta+1} \approx 1[/itex] and, since [itex]R_B\gg r_e[/itex], neglect [itex]r_e[/itex] in comparison with [itex]R_B[/itex]. This yields:
[tex]\dfrac{v_{out}}{i_{in}}=\dfrac{-R_B}{1+\dfrac{R_B+r_\pi}{(1+\beta)R_C}}[/tex]

Nice :smile:

Likes favq
Hi favq, perhaps you are also interested in an alternative calculation - based on feedback theory?
Here is my approach:
(1) Voltage gain without feedback (open-loop): Ao=Vout/Vbe=-gRc with transconductance g=d(Ie)/d(Vbe)=(β+1)/rπ.
(2) Vout/Vbe=Vout/(Ib*rπ)=-gRc which gives: To=Vout/Ib=-(β+1)Rc (because g=(β+1)/rπ).
(3) Transfer function with feedback: T=Vout/Iin=To/(1+To*k) with feedback factor k=If/Vout and If=(Vout-Vbe)/RBVout.
(4) Combining and solving for T gives the correct result.

Last edited:
Likes favq
LvW,
Thank you for the alternative calculation. I will look into it to deepen my understanding.

1. What is a shunt feedback amplifier circuit?

A shunt feedback amplifier circuit is a type of electronic circuit that uses a shunt resistor to provide negative feedback to the input signal. This helps to stabilize the output and improve the overall performance of the amplifier.

2. How does a shunt feedback amplifier circuit work?

The shunt resistor in the feedback loop creates a voltage divider with the input signal, which results in a portion of the output signal being fed back to the input in the opposite phase. This helps to cancel out any fluctuations in the input signal, making the output more stable.

3. What are the advantages of using a shunt feedback amplifier circuit?

There are several advantages to using a shunt feedback amplifier circuit, including increased stability, improved linearity, and reduced distortion. It also allows for greater control over the gain and frequency response of the amplifier.

4. What are the limitations of a shunt feedback amplifier circuit?

One limitation of a shunt feedback amplifier circuit is that it can be prone to oscillations if not properly designed. It also requires a stable power supply and may be more complex to design compared to other types of amplifiers.

5. How is a shunt feedback amplifier circuit different from other types of amplifiers?

A shunt feedback amplifier circuit differs from other types of amplifiers, such as voltage and current feedback amplifiers, because it uses a shunt resistor in the feedback loop instead of a series resistor. This results in a different type of feedback and different characteristics in terms of gain, frequency response, and stability.