Sig Figs: Debate on # of Trailing 0's?

In summary, there was a discussion between a high school student and their science teacher regarding the use of significant digits in physics equations. The student's textbook stated that numbers like 1000 have 1 significant figure, while the teacher argued that it has 5 and can be represented as 1_{000}. The topic of trailing zeroes and their significance in determining significant figures was debated, with context being an important factor. While some may consider 1000 to have 4 significant figures, others may argue for 5. Ultimately, there is no clear consensus on the matter and it may differ depending on the situation.
Jessehk
I apologize in advance if this topic does not belong in the section of the forum -- it was the closest match I could find.

I am a grade 10 high school student (16 years old), and I was having a bit of a discussion with my science teacher (who was previously a chemical engineer).

I respect his knowledge, and I am sure that he knows exactly what he is talking about (I am not in the habit of questioning teachers), but he is a new teacher, and perhaps he is not doing things the standard ways.

We were looking at significant digits for use in simple Physics equations,
such as [tex]a = \frac{\Delta v}{ \Delta t}[/tex] .

In our textbook, it states that numbers such as 1000 have 1 sig fig, while he says that it has 5, and to represent 1000 as 1 sig fig, one could write [tex]1_{000}[/tex].

I looked around a bit, and found that the amount of sig figs in numbers with trailing 0's is debatable. I was wondering what the popular opinion of the members here is regarding this matter.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would regard 1000 as 4 significant figures. 1000.0 would be 5. Trailing zeroes count, since they distinguish between 1000 and 1001. Rewritten as 1E3 or 1 x 10^3, it would be one significant digit.

It is a matter of context, as you say. Most people, even scientists are not careful to use special notation for 1000. Some instances:
1. If I owe you $1,000, that is 4 sf.

2. If 1,000 people attended the rally, that is probably 2 sf. (more than 900, but less than 1100.
I often say the proton mass is 1,000 Mev, even though it is really 938.3 (to 4 sf). That 1,000 is about 1 or 2 sf.

3. Saying 1,000.0 is 5 sf (although some would call it 4 sf because a leading one is sometimes not considered an sf.

4. For your case, if a car travels 1,000 miles in 16:24 hours, I would still give the mph to 2 sf, but I am not a high school teacher. They have to follow stricter rules.

Last edited:
I didn't realize the topic was so subjective.

Thanks to both of you. :)

Related to Sig Figs: Debate on # of Trailing 0's?

1. What are significant figures (sig figs)?

Significant figures are digits in a number that carry meaning or contribute to the precision of the measurement. They are used to indicate the level of uncertainty or error in a measurement.

2. What is the purpose of using sig figs?

The use of significant figures helps to communicate the level of precision in a measurement. It also ensures that calculations and measurements are not reported as more precise than they actually are.

3. How do you determine the number of sig figs in a measurement?

In most cases, the number of significant figures in a measurement is determined by counting all non-zero digits and any zeros between them. Trailing zeros after a decimal point are also significant. However, leading zeros and trailing zeros before a decimal point are not significant.

4. Why is there a debate about the number of trailing zeros in sig figs?

There is a debate about the number of trailing zeros in sig figs because there are different conventions among scientists and mathematicians. Some argue that trailing zeros should always be significant, while others believe that they should only be significant if they fall after a decimal point.

5. How do you handle trailing zeros in scientific notation?

In scientific notation, trailing zeros are always significant. For example, the number 1.200 x 10^3 has four significant figures because the zeros after the decimal point are significant. However, if the number was written as 1.2 x 10^3, it would only have two significant figures.