Sights are off the moon, and maybe put away for good.

• News
  • Thread starter MotoH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moon
In summary, President Obama plans to cancel the moon mission and reduce funding for NASA's space program.
A 1/2km sphere of nickel/iron would be about 2million tons
At $50,000/kg for the shuttle to put metal up there, it's worth an extra $100Bn to leave it in orbit.

To the poster complaining about wasting money in space, for the $700Bn admitted hand out to wall st - you could put 15million tons of iron into GTO with a fleet of shuttles or 50M tons using commercial launchers.
Not sure why you would to do this - but it probably makes more sense than giving it to Wall St.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well we can shop around while we are out there. There has to be asteroids with shiny bits on them that people will pay big bucks for!

why so much? i thought most of NASAs costs were from labour.

Some of the world's greatest inventions have happened when people said "screw cost-benefit, let's do it anyway!"

Char. Limit said:
Some of the world's greatest inventions have happened when people said "screw cost-benefit, let's do it anyway!"

Did any of these people see fortunes of their inventions during their lifetimes? :tongue:

Char. Limit said:

I'm curious as to what inventions in particular you had in mind.

Well... I'm sure someone did... just because I can't think of any doesn't mean there are none...

Seriously, though. Why go for a measly asteroid? I've heard rumors that Jupiter's core is a giant diamond. Go for THAT.

Hmm... guns couldn't have seemed very profitable at first...

No, Jupiters core is a colony of Monoliths.

I for one like it to be completely dark at night, and not have a second sun where Jupiter used to be.

2010 references if anyone caught them!

Char. Limit said:
Well... I'm sure someone did... just because I can't think of any doesn't mean there are none...

Seriously, though. Why go for a measly asteroid? I've heard rumors that Jupiter's core is a giant diamond. Go for THAT.

Hmm... guns couldn't have seemed very profitable at first...

Let's not talk, for the sake of talking.

mgb_phys said:
A 1/2km sphere of nickel/iron would be about 2million tons
At $50,000/kg for the shuttle to put metal up there, it's worth an extra $100Bn to leave it in orbit.

To the poster complaining about wasting money in space, for the $700Bn admitted hand out to wall st - you could put 15million tons of iron into GTO with a fleet of shuttles or 50M tons using commercial launchers.
Not sure why you would to do this - but it probably makes more sense than giving it to Wall St.

Everything he said. +1

The total NASA budget 1958 to 2008 was only $416 billion, currently less than $20 billion per annum. It is nothing next to the wasteful spending habits of our Congress.

The question is who will survive longer: Earth or Homo Sapiens. Our days on Earth are numbered, of course we have no clue as to what the number is. 10 years, 100 years, a billion years?? Someday our descendants must leave or perish. I feel a greater moral obligation to pursue this goal than some new government giveaway to buy special interest votes or campaign contributions.

The ancient Romans used to buy votes but they had the decency to do it with their own money. Our elected officials continue the custom but do it with other peoples money. To cut the miniscule space budget for the sake of political grandstanding is shameful.

Welcome to the third world.

skippy1729 said:
Welcome to the third world.
Because NASA didn't get a budget? Welcome to Hyperbole World.

<h2>1. What does "sights are off the moon" mean?</h2><p>The phrase "sights are off the moon" is often used to describe a situation where someone has lost focus or direction. It can also refer to a feeling of being disconnected or out of touch with reality.</p><h2>2. Why would someone want to put away sights for good?</h2><p>Putting away sights for good can mean letting go of negative thoughts or distractions that may be hindering progress or causing harm. It can also refer to moving on from a situation or mindset that is no longer beneficial.</p><h2>3. Is there any scientific basis for this phrase?</h2><p>While the phrase is commonly used in everyday language, there is no scientific evidence to support its meaning. It is often used metaphorically to describe a mental or emotional state.</p><h2>4. Can sights be put away permanently?</h2><p>It is possible to consciously choose to let go of certain thoughts or distractions, but it may require ongoing effort and mindfulness to maintain this state. It is also important to acknowledge and process emotions related to these sights in a healthy way.</p><h2>5. How can one put away sights for good?</h2><p>There is no one-size-fits-all approach to putting away sights for good. It may involve practices such as mindfulness, therapy, or self-reflection to identify and address the root causes of these sights. It may also require setting boundaries and making positive changes in one's life.</p>

1. What does "sights are off the moon" mean?

The phrase "sights are off the moon" is often used to describe a situation where someone has lost focus or direction. It can also refer to a feeling of being disconnected or out of touch with reality.

2. Why would someone want to put away sights for good?

Putting away sights for good can mean letting go of negative thoughts or distractions that may be hindering progress or causing harm. It can also refer to moving on from a situation or mindset that is no longer beneficial.

3. Is there any scientific basis for this phrase?

While the phrase is commonly used in everyday language, there is no scientific evidence to support its meaning. It is often used metaphorically to describe a mental or emotional state.

4. Can sights be put away permanently?

It is possible to consciously choose to let go of certain thoughts or distractions, but it may require ongoing effort and mindfulness to maintain this state. It is also important to acknowledge and process emotions related to these sights in a healthy way.

5. How can one put away sights for good?

There is no one-size-fits-all approach to putting away sights for good. It may involve practices such as mindfulness, therapy, or self-reflection to identify and address the root causes of these sights. It may also require setting boundaries and making positive changes in one's life.