Proving the Representation of Sigma-Algebra Elements as Unions of Atoms

• Thread starter somebd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: The trick is looking at the so-called atoms of the algebra. Let \mathcal{B} be your sigma-algebra, then A is called an atom of \mathcal{B} if\forall B\in \mathcal{B}:~B\subseteq A~\Rightarrow~B=\emptyset~\text{or}~B=A.Thus the atoms are these elements of \mathcal{B} such that only the empty set is contained in them. So in some sense, they are the minimal elements of the sigma-algebra.Now let \mathcal{A} be the set of all the atoms.
somebd
Hello!
How can you proof that all elements of sigma-algebra can be represented as unions of the elements intersection of which is an empty set? I am out of ideas :( Your help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the elements?

somebd said:
Hello!
How can you proof that all elements of sigma-algebra can be represented as unions of the elements intersection of which is an empty set? I am out of ideas :( Your help would be appreciated!

I'm afraid that I don't really understand the question... Can you give the exact wording of the question, or perhaps some extra information. Or perhaps write it in symbols could help...

Sorry I can't type symbols since I am on my phone :( thanks for your interest!
Basically, the task (which is formulated in language other than English so I'm sorry for possible mistakes) is to show that if sigma-algebra has a finite number of elements, there are elements Ai, i=1,...,n for which Ai intersection with Aj (i and j are indices) is an empty set and that every sigma-algebra element can be represented as unions of these sets Ai. I have shown the first part (about intersection) but stuck with the second.

somebd said:
Sorry I can't type symbols since I am on my phone :( thanks for your interest!
Basically, the task (which is formulated in language other than English so I'm sorry for possible mistakes) is to show that if sigma-algebra has a finite number of elements, there are elements Ai, i=1,...,n for which Ai intersection with Aj (i and j are indices) is an empty set and that every sigma-algebra element can be represented as unions of these sets Ai. I have shown the first part (about intersection) but stuck with the second.

Ah, I understand! So you said you have shown the first part. So you found elements Ai for which [tex]A_i\cap A_j=\emptyset[/tex]. So, which elements did you find. We'll see if those elements also satisfy the second condition...

Oh well, I am starting to doubt now :D But I just thought that if A and B belong to sigma-alegebra, then so do sets A\B and B\A and their intersection is an empty set...

All right, certainly A/B and B/A satisfy the first condition (their intersection being empty), but they don't satisfy the other one (the unions of such elements generating the sigma-algebra).

The trick is looking at the so-called atoms of the algebra. Let [tex]\mathcal{B}[/tex] be your sigma-algebra, then A is called an atom of [tex]\mathcal{B}[/tex] if

[tex]\forall B\in \mathcal{B}:~B\subseteq A~\Rightarrow~B=\emptyset~\text{or}~B=A[/tex].

Thus the atoms are these elements of [tex]\mathcal{B}[/tex] such that only the empty set is contained in them. So in some sense, they are the minimal elements of the sigma-algebra.
Now let [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex] be the set of all the atoms. Try to prove that this set satisfies your two conditions: the intersection is zero, and they generate the algebra...

FAQ: Proving the Representation of Sigma-Algebra Elements as Unions of Atoms

1. What is a Sigma-algebra?

A Sigma-algebra is a collection of subsets of a given set that satisfies certain properties. It is used in measure theory and probability to define the concept of measurable sets.

2. What is the importance of Sigma-algebra in mathematical proofs?

Sigma-algebra is important in mathematical proofs because it allows for the definition of measurable sets, which in turn allows for the definition of measures and probabilities. It also provides a framework for proving mathematical theorems related to measure and probability.

3. How is Sigma-algebra related to the concept of measurability?

Sigma-algebra is closely related to the concept of measurability. In order for a set to be considered measurable, it must be an element of a Sigma-algebra. This allows for the definition of measures and probabilities on these sets.

4. What are the properties of a Sigma-algebra?

A Sigma-algebra must satisfy three properties: closure under complements, closure under countable unions, and closure under countable intersections. This means that the complement, countable union, and countable intersection of any sets in the Sigma-algebra must also be in the Sigma-algebra.

5. How are Sigma-algebras used in real-world applications?

Sigma-algebras are used in real-world applications, particularly in the field of probability and statistics. They are used to define the concept of measurable events and to calculate probabilities of events occurring. They are also used in the development of models and algorithms for data analysis.