Proving A is a Sigma-Algebra on \Omega

• Thread starter azdang
  • Start date
In summary: So, in summary, we have shown that A is a sigma-algebra on \Omega by showing that \Omega is in A, A is closed under complement, and A is closed under countable union. This is because \Omega is the inverse image of the sigma-algebra E, and A is defined as the set of all inverse images of subsets of \Omega under the function f. Therefore, A is a sigma-algebra on \Omega.
azdang
Let f be a function mapping [tex]\Omega[/tex] to another space E with a sigma-algebra[/tex] E. Let A = {A C [tex]\Omega[/tex]: there exists B [tex]\epsilon[/tex] E with A = [tex]f^{-1}(B)[/tex]}. Show that A is a sigma-algebra on [tex]\Omega[/tex].

Okay, so I should start by showing that [tex]\Omega[/tex] is in A. I wasn't sure if this was as easy as saying that since A is made up of all subsets of [tex]\Omega[/tex], then clearly, [tex]\Omega[/tex] must be in A since it is a subset of itself.

Next, I would have to show it is closed under complement. Here is what I tried doing.

[tex]A = f^{-1}(B)[/tex]
[tex]A^c = (f^{-1}(B))^c = f^{-1}(B^c).[/tex] Since E is a sigma-algebra, [tex]B^c[/tex] is in E, thus by the definition of A, [tex]f^{-1}(B^c)[/tex] is in A so it is closed under complement.

The last thing would be to show it is closed under countable union. I'm sort of unsure how to set this up, but here is what I tried doing.

[tex]A_i \epsilon[/tex]A. Then, [tex]A_i = f^{-1}(B_i)[/tex] where [tex]B_i \epsilon[/tex] E. So, [tex]\bigcup_{i=1}^{\infty}A_i = \Bigcup_{i=1}^{\infty}f^{-1}(B_i)=f^{-1}(\bigcup_{i=1}^{\infty}B_i).[/tex] And the union of the [tex]B_i[/tex]'s is in E since it is a sigma-algebra. Therefore, can I conclude that A is closed under countable union and thus, a sigma-algebra?

Physics news on Phys.org
azdang said:
Okay, so I should start by showing that [tex]\Omega[/tex] is in A. I wasn't sure if this was as easy as saying that since A is made up of all subsets of [tex]\Omega[/tex], then clearly, [tex]\Omega[/tex] must be in A since it is a subset of itself.

But A is not made up of all subsets of [tex]\Omega[/tex], just those that are the inverse image of some B[tex]\epsilon[/tex] E. However, we know that E is a sigma algebra, so can you think of a set whose inverse image is [tex]\Omega[/tex]?

Everything else you did looks ok.

Ohh okay! So, wouldn't [tex]f^{-1}(E)= \Omega[/tex]? And E is in E, so I think this works.

azdang said:
Ohh okay! So, wouldn't [tex]f^{-1}(E)= \Omega[/tex]? And E is in E, so I think this works.

That works!

1. What is a Sigma-Algebra?

A Sigma-Algebra is a collection of subsets of a given set, often denoted as \Sigma, that satisfies certain properties. In particular, a Sigma-Algebra must contain the empty set, be closed under complementation, and be closed under countable unions.

2. What is the importance of proving that A is a Sigma-Algebra on \Omega?

Proving that A is a Sigma-Algebra on \Omega is important because it allows us to establish a framework for defining and analyzing measurable events and random variables. This is essential in many areas of mathematics and statistics, such as probability theory and measure theory.

3. How do you prove that A is a Sigma-Algebra on \Omega?

To prove that A is a Sigma-Algebra on \Omega, we must show that it satisfies the three properties of a Sigma-Algebra: containment of the empty set, closure under complementation, and closure under countable unions. This can be done by using logical arguments and mathematical proofs.

4. Can A be a Sigma-Algebra on any set \Omega?

No, A cannot be a Sigma-Algebra on any set \Omega. The set \Omega must have certain properties, such as being a non-empty set, for A to be considered a Sigma-Algebra. Additionally, the elements of A must also satisfy certain conditions, such as being countable, for A to be a Sigma-Algebra on \Omega.

5. Is there a unique Sigma-Algebra on \Omega?

No, there is not necessarily a unique Sigma-Algebra on \Omega. There can be multiple Sigma-Algebras that satisfy the three properties and are considered valid. However, there is often a "smallest" Sigma-Algebra on \Omega, known as the Borel Sigma-Algebra, which is commonly used in probability theory and measure theory.