Signal Generator: Frequency Calculation Help Needed

In summary: Pulse Out: This sets the level of pulse that will be outputted from the generator. VCF: This is the Volume Control, it allows you to adjust the level of output. DC OFFSET: This sets the level of offset that will be applied to the output. SYMMETRY: This adjusts the balance of the output between left and right channels. 20dB: This sets the level of output at which the generator will be outputting at 20dB. INV: This adjusts the level of input sensitivity.
PainterGuy
hello fine people,

some days back saw a signal generator. it has buttons labelled as 1hz, 10hhz,1k,2k,5k,etc. it does not has its own display. you can connect it to some external device for display. me do not have access to it now. it had a dial which could be turn with markings 0.5,2.5,0.1, etc. me asked one person for what dial is used. he said if you want signal of say 500hz. then you press 1k button and then set the dial to 0.5 which would give you 500hz (1000x0.5). is he saying correct?
suppose if connect a led to that signal generator and set its value at 10hz, will led turn on/off 10 times in a sec. your help is need. would appreciate any help.

cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Hrmm. I don't know anything about this, but I just wanted to say that if you don't get any answers here, you should try posting this in the Electrical Engineering forum. Maybe someone there can help you.

hello,

can someone please move this thread to electrical engineering section. it would be help.

painterguy said:
then you press 1k button and then set the dial to 0.5 which would give you 500hz (1000x0.5). is he saying correct?
That's how mine works.

suppose if connect a led to that signal generator and set its value at 10hz, will led turn on/off 10 times in a sec. your help is need. would appreciate any help.

cheers
Even 10 hertz is pretty fast, you'll likely see it as a flickering of the LED. But I'm not sure the generator will have enough output to drive the LED.

pizzaguy said:
That's how mine works.

Even 10 hertz is pretty fast, you'll likely see it as a flickering of the LED. But I'm not sure the generator will have enough output to drive the LED.

pizzaguy, you are so good. then that person was correct. led take very little current, my guess, so think it can work. do you think like that?

cheers

My generator here is simply a SIGNAL generator, that is, it is capable of generating a SIGNAL, not any real POWER. Even an LED is too much of a load for my generator (yea, I tried it and my generator cannot provide enough current).

But that does not mean that yours will not do it, maybe it will, you can try it.

hello again,

i was able to a snap of that frequency generator:--
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/4708/freqgenerator.jpg

at top it says 0.2hz-2mhz. one mark on dial marks 0.05 (0.05x4=0.2). on dial this has markings right side also (in clockwise direction). there are 8 markings (starting from 0) on right side of 0.2, does this mean every marking stand for 0.025?

as pizzaguy told me that value on dial is multiplies with set frequency. if frequency set is 1khz and i have 0.5 on dial, then resulting frequency will be 500hz. is this correct? but as you see there are markings smaller than 0.2, so it is possible to get frequency smaller than 0.2hz (1hz x (any value on dial smaller than 0.2). that mean frequency generator can produce frequencies lower than 0.2hz, then why it say at top that it can produce frequencies from 0.2hz-2mhz. please tell me.

what is function of "Pulse Out" and "VCF"?

what is function of "DC OFFSET" and "SYMMETRY"?

what is function of "20dB" and "INV"?

i am much grateful if you provide me help.

cheers

1. What is a signal generator?

A signal generator is an electronic device that produces electrical signals at different frequencies and waveforms. It is commonly used in testing and troubleshooting electronic circuits and equipment.

2. How does a signal generator work?

A signal generator typically consists of an oscillator that generates the signal, a frequency control mechanism, and an output amplifier. The frequency control mechanism allows the user to adjust the frequency of the signal, while the output amplifier increases the strength of the signal for better measurement accuracy.

3. What is frequency calculation and why is it needed in a signal generator?

Frequency calculation is the process of determining the frequency of a signal. In a signal generator, it is needed to ensure that the produced signal is accurate and within the desired range. It is also important for calibrating the equipment and measuring the performance of electronic devices.

4. How do I calculate the frequency using a signal generator?

To calculate the frequency using a signal generator, you will need to input the desired frequency into the frequency control mechanism. The signal generator will then produce a signal at that particular frequency, which can be measured using a frequency counter or oscilloscope.

5. Can a signal generator be used for other purposes besides testing electronic circuits?

Yes, a signal generator can also be used for other applications such as audio testing, telecommunications, and research and development. It is a versatile tool that can produce a wide range of signals for various purposes.