1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Signals sent during relativistic space travel

1. Mar 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose rocket traveler Amelia has a clock made on Earth. She flies to and back from a planet 12 light-years away (as measured from rest with respect to Earth) from Earth at a speed of 0.6c. Every year she sends a signal to Earth. How many signals does Earth receive by the time she gets back?

2. Relevant equations
    f = f'*[sqrt((1-u/c)/(1+u/c))]
    (relativistic Doppler shift)
    L = Lo*sqrt(1-u^2/c^2)
    (relativistic length contraction)

3. The attempt at a solution
    The distance to the planet for Amelia is shorter than 12 light-years. It is 9.6 light-years. So she takes 16 years (as she measures them) to get there and 16 to get back.

On the way there, by the relativistic Doppler equation I know that Earth receives her signals at a rate of 0.5 signals every Amelia-year, and on her way back Earth receives her signals at a rate of 2 signals every Amelia-year.

There are 16 Amelia-years in the trip to the planet, and 16 in the trip from the planet. So the total number of signals is

16*0.5 + 16*2 = 8 + 32 = 40.

But that is wrong, because it should be 32 signals, if she sent one every year, since her trip lasted 32 years to her.

How am I doing this wrong?
    (Thanks.)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You calculated the distance in Amelia's frame of reference but did not account for the slowing of time in her frame.

4. Mar 4, 2010 #3
    Ta-Da! Thank you, Halls of Ivy, that was kind of you. That's a load off my mind.

5. Oct 21, 2010 #4
    I'm dabbling over the same question but how would that time dilation effect be? Would it be affecting the 32 years time? or, since the earth has a relativistic speed of 0.6c relative to Amelia, should we consider the effect on Earth's time?

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook