GR: Signature & Dimension of Embedding Space

In summary, the curvature tensor is not dependent on the dimensionality of the embedding space. Higher dimensional spaces are often used to describe expanding universes, but this is not something that is done in general for flat space universes.
dismachaerus
Hello. I am not familiar with differential geometry and curvature tensors, yet I am having a great deal of questions to ask.
First when we lay a set of coordinates for an n-dimensional plane, let's say 2 coordinates for a surface embedded in a 4D space the vectors we begin with to describe our surface must have 4 coordinates each, right? So, no matter how we arrive at our curvature Riemann or Ricci tensor the space in which our surface is embedded must reflect in our equations somehow... I mean with an increase in the dimensionality of the embeddind space we must get a different set of equations for each 2D surface say. Or is it that the tensor equations are independent of dimensions of surrounding vector space? How is this possible?
With this in mind, what is the signature of the surrounding Euclidean plane in the EFE near a massive body? Is it (-,+,+,+,+) or (-,+,+,+,-) ? Did Einstein use 5D vectors in his equations to arrive at?
In cosmology do we often use higher than 5D embedding spaces to describe the expanding spacetimes, especially for the flat space expanding universes?
And finally, which book is good for me to start learning GR? Is Wheeler's book Gravitation right for a beginner like me or do i need more basics like Spivak's Comprehensive Introduction To Diff. Geometry?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi dismachaerus, welcome to PF!

Actually, one of the interesting things about Riemannian geometry is that the embedding space is completely irrelevant. All of the notions of curvature and geometry are formulated purely in terms of the lower dimensional curved space and there is no need to reference any higher dimensional flat embedding space.

For example, the surface of a sphere is a 2D curved manifold which you are probably picturing in your head as being embedded in a flat 3D space. But you can do all of your differential geometry on the surface of the sphere using only the 2D curved coordinates.

Likes bcrowell
It is not true that the 5 as a dimension exists. One of the most complicated (to me) results in modern mathematics is this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitney_embedding_theorem. This tells something about an 8, not a 5.

What is the signature of GR: Signature & Dimension of Embedding Space?

The signature of GR: Signature & Dimension of Embedding Space refers to the number of positive and negative signs in the metric tensor that describes the geometry of the space. In general relativity, the signature is typically written as (+,-,-,-) indicating one positive and three negative signs.

What is the dimension of the embedding space in GR: Signature & Dimension of Embedding Space?

The dimension of the embedding space in GR: Signature & Dimension of Embedding Space refers to the number of coordinates needed to describe the space. In general relativity, the embedding space is typically four-dimensional, representing the three dimensions of space and one dimension of time.

How are the signature and dimension related in GR: Signature & Dimension of Embedding Space?

In GR: Signature & Dimension of Embedding Space, the signature and dimension are related through the metric tensor. The signature determines the number of positive and negative signs in the metric tensor, while the dimension corresponds to the number of components in the metric tensor. For example, in a four-dimensional space with a signature of (+,-,-,-), the metric tensor would have 16 components.

Why is the signature important in GR: Signature & Dimension of Embedding Space?

The signature is important in GR: Signature & Dimension of Embedding Space because it determines the type of geometry of the space. The signature can be used to classify spaces as either Euclidean, Minkowskian, or Riemannian, which have different properties and implications in general relativity.

Can the signature and dimension change in GR: Signature & Dimension of Embedding Space?

Yes, the signature and dimension can change in GR: Signature & Dimension of Embedding Space depending on the curvature of the space. In general relativity, the curvature of space is related to the distribution of matter and energy, which can change over time. This can result in changes to the signature and dimension of the embedding space.