Significance of AVcc pin in ATMEGA 16

In summary, connecting AVCC externally to VCC allows an independant voltage line for the ADC to be used under analog conditions.
varunag
I'm using a ATMEGA16 microcontroller. I was having problem getting it to work. I found somewhere on the internet that even if I'm not using the analog signals, I need to short the AVcc pin to the Vcc. Can anyone give any reason as to why we need to do this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
from the datasheet...

AVCC AVCC is the supply voltage pin for Port A and the A/D Converter. It should be externally connected
to VCC, even if the ADC is not used. If the ADC is used, it should be connected to VCC
through a low-pass filter.

VCC is the standard power in for the digital circuitry and AVCC is for the analog.
The separation is for when you have a mixed mode circuit or board so that you can run your power lines seperately to avoid crosstalk noise.
Digital switching noise may affect your analog signals and vice versa. So the best design separates them on the board.
You will notice that they suggest a low pass filter when using the AVCC power from the digital power and this allows your dc through while blocking the high frequency digital surges as demanded from the switching circuits.

thanks deakie for the reply.

well this information is what I get from most of the places. I suppose that I did not frame my question properly. What I meant in my question is "why do we have to connect the AVcc externally to the Vcc, even if the ADC is not used?"

I suppose my question will be more clear to you now...

thanks,
varun

Otherise port A won't function along with the interconnecting circuits inside the chip.

To expand...its a choice for when you use the ADC only...the AVCC port allows an independent voltage line for the ADC for use under analog conditions but must always be connected nevertheless. you just get the choice to filter it.

Last edited:
well thanks. but there must be some reason for it. I hope someone might be knowing the reason for this.
Or I'm asking a too trivial thing, and I shouldn't be bothering about it?

I just said...you just get the choice to filter it.
How else would you get that choice if it wasnt connected externally?
if it was internal, you couldn't do it.

oh okay. got it.
so you mean, that we always need to power the AVcc. If we don't need to use the ADC feature then we can short AVcc and Vcc.
But if we want to use ADC, then we can use a filter at AVcc.

thanks deakie.

Yeah...thats it exactly.
No worries and you're welcome.

1. What is the purpose of the AVcc pin in ATMEGA 16?

The AVcc pin, also known as the analog voltage reference pin, is responsible for providing a stable and accurate reference voltage for the analog to digital converter (ADC) in the ATMEGA 16 microcontroller. This voltage is used to convert analog signals into digital values for processing.

2. How does the AVcc pin affect the accuracy of the ADC?

The AVcc pin plays a crucial role in ensuring the accuracy of the ADC. By providing a stable and precise reference voltage, it allows the ADC to accurately convert analog signals into digital values. Any fluctuations or noise in the AVcc voltage can result in inaccurate ADC readings.

3. Can the AVcc pin be connected to any voltage source?

No, the AVcc pin has specific voltage requirements and should only be connected to the recommended voltage source, which is typically the Vcc pin. Connecting it to a different voltage source can result in inaccurate ADC readings and potentially damage the microcontroller.

4. How is the AVcc voltage regulated?

The AVcc voltage is typically regulated by a voltage regulator on the microcontroller. This regulator ensures that the voltage supplied to the AVcc pin is stable and within the recommended range. In some cases, an external voltage regulator may be used to provide a more precise and stable AVcc voltage.

5. Are there any precautions to take when using the AVcc pin?

Yes, there are a few precautions to keep in mind when using the AVcc pin. It is important to ensure that the AVcc pin is connected to the correct voltage source and that the voltage remains stable throughout operation. Additionally, any noise or interference in the AVcc voltage can affect the accuracy of the ADC, so it is best to keep the AVcc pin away from high-frequency signals or other sources of noise.