Significant Figures problem help

In summary, someone is seeking help with a question about constructing a sidewalk around a swimming pool. The dimensions of the pool and sidewalk are given with uncertainties. They are also asking for the volume of concrete needed and the uncertainty of this volume. The forum policy on homework help is mentioned and the person is encouraged to think about how to find the largest and smallest possible volumes. A thread with additional explanations is also recommended for help.
rumaithya
Hello, I've found this question in my book and I'm interested to know how to solve this problem. Can anyone help?
_____
A sidewalk is to be constructed around a swimming pool that measures (10.0 +- 0.1 )m by (17.0 +- 0.1)m. If the side walk is to measure (1.00 +- 0.01)m wide by (9.0 +- 0.1) cm thick, what volume of concrete is needed, and what is the approximate uncertainty of this volume.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please read the stickys at the top of this forum concerning our policy concerning homework help.

Question for you, how do you find the volume? What would you do to find the largest possible volume? The Smallest possible? Think about it.

rumaithya, check out this thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=41528 for some additional explanations about using significant figures. This might help you understand how to solve your problem.

1. What are significant figures and why are they important?

Significant figures are digits that represent the accuracy and precision of a measured or calculated value. They are important because they indicate the level of certainty in a measurement, and help to avoid misleading or false results.

2. How do I determine the number of significant figures in a number?

The general rule is that all non-zero digits are significant, and zeros between non-zero digits are also significant. However, leading zeros (before the first non-zero digit) and trailing zeros (after the last non-zero digit) may or may not be significant, depending on the context of the measurement.

3. How do I perform calculations with significant figures?

When performing addition or subtraction, the answer should be rounded to the same number of decimal places as the least precise measurement. For multiplication or division, the answer should have the same number of significant figures as the measurement with the fewest significant figures.

4. Can I round my final answer to more significant figures than the original measurements?

No, your final answer should have the same number of significant figures as the least precise measurement. Rounding to more significant figures would imply a level of accuracy that is not supported by the original data.

5. How do I handle significant figures in scientific notation?

In scientific notation, all digits are significant, including any leading or trailing zeros. When performing calculations with numbers in scientific notation, follow the same rules for determining significant figures as with regular numbers.