1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Significant Figures problem help

1. Sep 1, 2004 #1
    Hello, i've found this question in my book and i'm interested to know how to solve this problem. Can anyone help?
    _____
    A sidewalk is to be constructed around a swimming pool that measures (10.0 +- 0.1 )m by (17.0 +- 0.1)m. If the side walk is to measure (1.00 +- 0.01)m wide by (9.0 +- 0.1) cm thick, what volume of concrete is needed, and what is the approximate uncertainty of this volume.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2004 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please read the stickys at the top of this forum concerning our policy concerning homework help.

Question for you, how do you find the volume? What would you do to find the largest possible volume? The Smallest possible? Think about it.

4. Sep 5, 2004 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

rumaithya, check out this thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=41528 for some additional explanations about using significant figures. This might help you understand how to solve your problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?