Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Signs that you spend too much time at your computer

1. May 8, 2007 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have caught myself checking to see if it was raining outside, online. :uhh:

When I read a manual - a hardcopy - I sometimes catch myself wanting to reach for <Ctrl>+<F> and getting annoyed when I realize that I don't have one for a book.

What is worrying me is that I think it's screwing up my eyesight. :bugeye: Or, maybe I'm just getting old like Integral.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2007 #2
    I think you should see a doctor. I know a good one who can be consulted via IM...

4. May 8, 2007 #3

Mk

Haven't we all? I mean, that feature is just so not there for books.

5. May 8, 2007 #4

Danger

Gold Member

As long as you don't have to check on Myspace to see if Tsu still thinks you're a decent lover... :rolleyes:

6. May 8, 2007 #5

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I once tried to push the open cd drive button on my computer tower with my mouse pointer...

7. May 8, 2007 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Funny :rofl:

8. May 8, 2007 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't even know what that shortcut does. :confused: Then again, I can't read things like manuals or articles online. I have to print them as hardcopy.

9. May 8, 2007 #8
    Heh, Cntrl+F is for searching for a specific string of text in a document. Indeed it would be a nice feature for real books :rofl:

10. May 8, 2007 #9

radou

Homework Helper

Me neither, and that's a blessing, since then I'd probably spend *all* the time (except when I'm at the faculty) sitting here.

Btw, there are some useful "computer stretching" exercies which one should do if spending a lot of time on the computer. Didn't try any of them out, but will google-up these days. :rolleyes:

Same here.

11. May 8, 2007 #10
    With Firefox, I just start typing and it autoamtically starts searching...so I feel a bit lazy even to do the Ctrl+F thing when using another browser or reading a document. :(

12. May 8, 2007 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah. I don't use the find feature often enough to have learned the shortcut for it. Real books have something called an index. I think it works much better than searching for a term using the find feature.

13. May 8, 2007 #12
    Yeah, but not every book has one :wink:
    I only wish my computer would cook my food, thta's about the only time I'm off it during vacation.

14. May 8, 2007 #13

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Just right-click on the drive letter in the Explorer window, and select "Eject". Much easier than trying to find the pesky real button on the computer tower (which is turned around anyway to make the cables easier to move around).

BTW, one clue that you are spending too much time online is when you are providing more homework help on the PF than you provide for your own kids :blushing: Well on the bright side, maybe that means that your own kids are doing fine in school on their own. Yes, that must be it! :rolleyes:

15. May 8, 2007 #14
    :rofl:
    Maybe you should start giving them medals for good academic performance and give them warning stars if they are being rude.

16. May 8, 2007 #15

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I've done that and other things like it so many times I was getting scared.

Light switches, calculator buttons, opening doors, eating food...

I can't even blame "gaming" as I have not played any video games since "Descent" back in 1995.

17. May 8, 2007 #16

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When I used to play might and magic 7 I would always load/save in one of the castles because is was EFFING HARD and I caught myself thinking to do this in real life a few times.

I stopped playing for a day or two. :rofl:

18. May 8, 2007 #17
    As you crane your neck to see what's written at the bottom of the board, your right hand reaches out as if to roll the scrolling wheel on the mouse.

19. May 8, 2007 #18
    \

Wouldn't that be nice...

A year ago I played call of duty quite often. I remember one night I was tired after playing it for a long time and the wind moved some bush or something and I immediately crouched and thought "how am I going to hide form these germans...". After that I stopped playing almost completely.

20. May 8, 2007 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Unfortunately, when reading Jinglish, Ginglish, or Finglish, a search feature is mission critical.

Japanese English
    German English
    French English

21. May 8, 2007 #20
    So there I was, defending the town from a huge fire-breathing dragon. I grabbed my sword and just as I was about to slay the monster, a dialog box popped up. I clicked "Okay" with my sword. Nothing. I clicked and clicked, but to no avail. And then I woke up.

My dream... crashed...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?