Noisy Fridges: Which Ones Make the Least Amount?

• Thread starter tgt
  • Start date
In summary, the key to finding a quiet fridge is to look for one with a high efficiency rating. This is because a more efficient fridge will produce less sound. Additionally, it may be helpful to consult sources such as Consumer Reports or user ratings to determine which models have a reputation for being particularly quiet.
tgt
Which fridges make the least amount of noise? I'm thinking of a smallish one with freezer on top and normal component on the bottom (not a bar fridge).

Physics news on Phys.org
Get a fridge with the highest efficiency rating that you can get, if you can afford it. As sound is simply wasted energy. A more efficient fridge will produce less sound. I have an "A" rating efficient fridge and is almost silent.

I haven't bought a fridge in a while, but I know fans (like built-in exhaust fans) have a sone rating, which is a measure of how loud they are. Maybe a PFer will know if fridges have these ratings, too?

Another place to look is a magazine like Consumer Reports. They would mention if an appliance makes an unusual amount of noise.

Also, user ratings are another source of information, albeit completely unregulated.

1. How do I determine which fridge makes the least amount of noise?

To determine which fridge makes the least amount of noise, you can look at the decibel (dB) rating. The lower the dB rating, the quieter the fridge will be. You can also read reviews from other customers or test out the fridge in person to get a sense of the noise level.

2. Are there specific brands or models that are known for being quieter than others?

Yes, there are certain brands and models that are known for being quieter than others. Some popular brands that are known for their quiet fridges include LG, Samsung, and Whirlpool. Additionally, models with inverter compressors tend to be quieter than those with traditional compressors.

3. Can I make my current fridge quieter?

Yes, there are a few things you can do to make your current fridge quieter. First, make sure the fridge is level as an uneven surface can cause excess noise. You can also try placing sound-absorbing materials, such as rubber mats or foam padding, under or around the fridge. Additionally, regular maintenance, such as cleaning the condenser coils, can help reduce noise.

4. Is there a correlation between noise level and energy efficiency?

Not necessarily. While some quieter fridges may also be more energy efficient, noise level and energy efficiency are not directly related. It is important to look at the fridge's energy rating to determine its efficiency.

5. How do I know if a fridge is too noisy?

The level of noise that is considered "too noisy" can vary from person to person. However, as a general rule, if the noise from the fridge is loud enough to disrupt daily activities or conversations, it may be considered too noisy. Additionally, if the noise level is significantly higher than what is stated in the product specifications, it may be a sign of a malfunctioning fridge.