Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Silent(ish) fridges?

1. Feb 13, 2010 #1

tgt

Which fridges make the least amount of noise? I'm thinking of a smallish one with freezer on top and normal component on the bottom (not a bar fridge).

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2010 #2
    Get a fridge with the highest efficiency rating that you can get, if you can afford it. As sound is simply wasted energy. A more efficient fridge will produce less sound. I have an "A" rating efficient fridge and is almost silent.

4. Feb 13, 2010 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't bought a fridge in a while, but I know fans (like built-in exhaust fans) have a sone rating, which is a measure of how loud they are. Maybe a PFer will know if fridges have these ratings, too?

Another place to look is a magazine like Consumer Reports. They would mention if an appliance makes an unusual amount of noise.

Also, user ratings are another source of information, albeit completely unregulated.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook