How Does Differentiation Determine the Exact Slope of a Curve?

• Thread starter lazyaditya
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of differentiation and how it is different from the slope formula. Differentiation gives the exact value of the slope at any point, while the slope formula gives an approximation. It is recommended to review limits to better understand the limit process in differentiation.
lazyaditya
We say that a slope can be calculated as the ratio of the perpendicular to the base , Then what does differentiation of the equation shows "dy/dx"?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

I'm sorry, what? Can you please clarify your question?

We say that a slope can be calculated as the ratio of the perpendicular to the base of a line tangential, Then what does differentiation of the equation shows "dy/dx"?
Differential calculus involves the evaluation of that Δy / Δx but taken to its extreme.

I just want to know what actually differentiation is apart from its equation ? what does it mean?

Differentiation is a way of calculating the slope at any point along a curve if you know that curve's equation.

Ya that's what i m saying suppose y =3x^2 then on differentiation i would get (dy/dx=6x) then at point x=3 the slope would be 18. Then isn't slope also calculated as (y2-y1)/(x2-x1) then at point x = 3 isn't it should be 9 ?

lazyaditya said:
Ya that's what i m saying suppose y =3x^2 then on differentiation i would get (dy/dx=6x) then at point x=3 the slope would be 18. Then isn't slope also calculated as (y2-y1)/(x2-x1) then at point x = 3 isn't it should be 9 ?

No, because that equation gives you the slope of the line connecting two points; we don't have two points in this case, we only have one. Remember that when we construct the derivative we actually use the above slope formula to calculate the limit of the slope as the distance of two points approaches zero.

lazyaditya said:
Then isn't slope also calculated as (y2-y1)/(x2-x1)
Yes. So if you take two points (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) on that curve, where x1 and x2 are very close to 3, then that quotient will be very close to 18.

Then what is the significance of one over the other ? I mean in which situation which one should i prefer ?

lazyaditya said:
Then what is the significance of one over the other ? I mean in which situation which one should i prefer ?

This has already been explained to you. The slope formula gives you the slope of the line connecting two points; the derivative gives the slope of the tangent line at each point of the function.

What appears to be puzzling you is the limit process. I recommend you go back and review "limits". It's probably in the chapter of your Calculus book just before the derivative is introduced!

lazyaditya said:
Differentiation gives the exact value of the slope at any point you choose. Using the "pair of points" method gives an approximation, you are in effect approximating the curve with a straight line.

NascentOxygen said:
Differentiation gives the exact value of the slope at any point you choose. Using the "pair of points" method gives an approximation, you are in effect approximating the curve with a straight line.

Thank you i was really confused at this :)

1) What is a "silly math question"?

A "silly math question" is a question that may seem nonsensical or illogical, but often has a mathematical concept or solution hidden within it.

2) Why should I care about silly math questions?

Silly math questions can help improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills. They also make math more enjoyable and can challenge our understanding of mathematical concepts.

3) Can you give an example of a silly math question?

One example of a silly math question is: "If a chicken and a half lays an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many eggs will seven chickens lay in seven days?" The answer is 49 eggs, as each chicken lays one egg per day and there are seven chickens. While this question may seem silly, it requires logical thinking and basic math skills to solve.

4) Are silly math questions only for children?

No, silly math questions can be enjoyed by people of all ages. They can be used as a fun way to practice and strengthen math skills for both children and adults.

5) How can I come up with my own silly math questions?

Silly math questions can be created by taking a traditional math problem and adding a humorous or unexpected twist to it. They can also be inspired by everyday situations or objects and finding a way to apply mathematical concepts to them.