Proving Similar Matrices: A Guide with Examples and Step-by-Step Instructions

• Thread starter holezch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary: So when we apply Q, we are essentially changing the basis from the old one to the new one. So the columns of Q would be the coordinates of the vectors in \gamma with respect to the old basis.
holezch

Homework Statement

Let A [tex]\in M_{n x n }(F)[/tex] and let [tex]\gamma[/tex] be an ordered basis for [tex] F^{n} [/tex]. Then [tex] [L_{A}]_{\gamma} = Q^{-1} A Q [/tex], where Q is the n x n matrix whose j-th column is the j-th vector of gamma.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I'm confused about some of the technical details.. :S And I don't really have much of a plan for proving this at all :S.. any help? thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you'll have to show us something.
Do you understand all the notation of the statement?

Maybe writing it out in words will help. Here's one way of writing the first sentence:

Let A be an element of the set of nxn matrices with elements in the field F.

Of particular interest: Do you understand what [LA]gamma means?

hgfalling said:
Well, you'll have to show us something.
Do you understand all the notation of the statement?

Maybe writing it out in words will help. Here's one way of writing the first sentence:

Let A be an element of the set of nxn matrices with elements in the field F.

Of particular interest: Do you understand what [LA]gamma means?

I think the notation may be messing with me.. I'm also confused about the changing bases.. We need to change basis x to basis gamma. Are we just not given the basis x?

and [LA]gamma is a linear transformation, so we need to decide the coordinate vectors A* x_i where x _ i are the vectors from gamma
thanks!

The original basis here is otherwise unspecified. Just assume that it's some other basis (besides [itex] \gamma [/itex]).

As you say, [itex] \left[ L_A \right]_\gamma [/itex] is the linear transformation corresponding to the matrix A in the original basis, but with respect to the basis [itex] \gamma [/itex] instead.

If you were in the original basis and somebody came up with a vector u and asked you to do the linear transformation, you could do that easily, right? Just give them back Au. Now someone is coming up to you with a vector in the new basis v, and wants the result of applying the linear transformation in the new basis ([itex] \gamma [/itex]). So if we can take v back to the old basis, apply A, then bring the result back to the new basis, we will have their answer.

This is where Q comes in. So now, show that Q-1 and Q do these things.

thanks, I have another question: it says that the j-th column of Q is the j-th vector of gamma.. but Q is a matrix , so it's the jth vector of gamma under what basis coordinates?
the matrix Q would be in the coordinates of B' if Q is B -> B', so are we looking for gamma vectors with respect to gamma ? thanks :)

The vectors in [itex] \gamma [/itex] would be in terms of the old basis.

1. What is the definition of similar matrices?

The definition of similar matrices is that they have the same size and shape, and their corresponding entries follow a specific relationship. This relationship is that the product of one matrix with its inverse is equal to the other matrix with its inverse.

2. How do I determine if two matrices are similar?

To determine if two matrices are similar, you can follow a series of steps. First, check if the matrices have the same size and shape. Then, find the inverse of one matrix and multiply it by the other matrix. If the result is equal to the inverse of the second matrix multiplied by the first matrix, then the matrices are similar.

3. Can two matrices be similar if they have different entries?

Yes, two matrices can be similar even if they have different entries. As long as the relationship between the corresponding entries is maintained, the matrices can be considered similar.

4. Is there a shortcut or formula for determining if two matrices are similar?

Yes, there is a shortcut or formula for determining if two matrices are similar. It is called the trace formula, which states that if the sum of the entries on the main diagonal of two matrices is equal, then the matrices are similar.

5. Can I use similar matrices to solve systems of equations?

Yes, you can use similar matrices to solve systems of equations. By finding the inverse of a matrix, you can use it to transform the system of equations into a simpler form, making it easier to solve for the variables.