Similar triangles. How does 4/6 turn into 2h/3 ?

• Thread starter nukeman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangles
In summary, the conversation discusses a related rates problem involving the equation r/h = 4/6, which can be simplified to r = 2h/3. The person is seeking clarification on why the equation becomes 2x/3 when multiplied by h. The expert summarizes that the multiplication only affects the numerator and that the person should be comfortable with basic arithmetic in order to successfully solve related rates problems in Calculus.
nukeman

Homework Statement

r/h = 4/6

This turns into: r = 2h/3

How, can someone please refresh me? I am doing a related rates problem, and I for this! :(

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't 4/6 = 2/3 ? (Everything is written in basis 10).

nukeman said:

Homework Statement

r/h = 4/6

This turns into: r = 2h/3

How, can someone please refresh me? I am doing a related rates problem, and I for this! :(

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

r/h = 4/6 = 2/3

Now multiply both sides of this equation by h.

4/6 * x = 2x/3x ?

Why is just 2x/3 ?

The multiplication affects only the numerator. Think about it as (6/4)x5 = (6:4)x 5 = 6:4x5 = 6x5:4 = 30:4 = 7.5

Last edited:
If you are doing things involving "related rates" and Calculus, I think we have right to assume that you can do arithmetic! 4/6= (2*2)/(2*3)= 2/3!

HallsofIvy said:
If you are doing things involving "related rates" and Calculus, I think we have right to assume that you can do arithmetic! 4/6= (2*2)/(2*3)= 2/3!
And if this assumption by us is incorrect, then you are going to have a very difficult time in calculus.

FAQ: Similar triangles. How does 4/6 turn into 2h/3 ?

1. What are similar triangles?

Similar triangles are two triangles that have the same shape, but not necessarily the same size. This means that their corresponding angles are equal and their corresponding sides are in proportion.

2. How do you determine if two triangles are similar?

If two triangles have the same angles, then they are similar. This can be determined by comparing the corresponding angles, using angle-angle similarity theorem, or by using side-side-side or side-angle-side similarity postulates.

3. What is the ratio of corresponding sides in similar triangles?

The ratio of corresponding sides in similar triangles is equal. This means that if two triangles are similar, then the ratio of any two corresponding sides will be the same.

4. How does 4/6 turn into 2h/3 in similar triangles?

In similar triangles, the corresponding sides are in proportion. This means that if one side is multiplied by a certain number, the other side must also be multiplied by that same number to maintain the proportion. In this case, since 4/6 is equivalent to 2/3, if we multiply the second triangle's corresponding side by h, we must also multiply the first triangle's corresponding side by 2, resulting in 2h/3.

5. What are some real-life applications of similar triangles?

Similar triangles are used in various fields such as architecture, engineering, and physics. They can be used to determine the height of buildings, the distance between two objects, and the size of objects that are too far away to measure directly. They are also used in map making and navigation to create accurate scale models.

Back