Simple algebra and square root help.

In summary, the conversation discusses whether there is a square root for a negative number and the solution to the equation involving the square root of 2q - 5r. The conversation also mentions using imaginary numbers, specifically the square root of -1, to solve for the square root of a negative number. It is suggested that the answer may be "no solution" or "cannot be evaluated."
access

Homework Statement

is there no square root for a negative number? is there no solution for this?

q=-1 r=2

the square root of 2q - 5r

The Attempt at a Solution

2x-1 - 5x2 = -12

sqaure root of -12?

my calculator doesn't come up with a answer for the square root.

Physics news on Phys.org
It has been a while but they use small i for imaginary numbers if my recollection is correct. i means the square root of -1. So for the purpose of following standard format your answer could be 3.46(i)

With the title being "simple algebra," it's possible that the OP has not encountered imaginary numbers yet. In that case, students are usually directed to write "no solution," or "cannot be evaluated" as their answer.

Or perhaps "No Real Solution".

1. What is simple algebra?

Simple algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the manipulation and solving of equations using letters and symbols to represent unknown quantities.

2. How do I solve equations using simple algebra?

To solve an equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation by using inverse operations. This means that if the variable is being multiplied, you need to divide to isolate it. If the variable is being added, you need to subtract. Once the variable is isolated, you can solve for its value.

3. What is a square root?

A square root is a value that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. For example, the square root of 9 is 3 because 3 multiplied by itself is 9.

4. How do I find the square root of a number?

To find the square root of a number, you can use a calculator or use the long division method. For example, to find the square root of 25, you can divide 25 by 2, which is 12.5. Then, you can divide 25 by 12.5, which is 2. Repeat this process until you get a decimal number that is close to the actual square root.

5. What is the difference between a square root and an exponent?

A square root is the inverse operation of squaring a number, meaning it undoes the action of squaring. For example, the square root of 9 is 3 because 3 squared is 9. An exponent, on the other hand, is a number that indicates how many times a base number should be multiplied by itself. For example, 3 to the power of 2, written as 3^2, is 9.