How Do You Solve This Challenging Algebra Problem?

• Thread starter albinoboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the student is trying to solve a simple algebra problem, but is struggling due to incorrect answers. They have found the answer using simple substitutions, but still need to use one more answer to be accurate.
albinoboy
Simple Algebra problem that is killing me!

Homework Statement

From the set of equations below, involving the unknowns p, q, r, and t, find the values of t / r. (Use the correct number of significant figures.)

p = 7q
pr = qs
0.5pr^2 + 0.5qs^2 = 0.5qt^2

Homework Equations

~

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been working on this problem for some time now. I have tried dividing all the terms by r^2 and seting (t/r)=x just to simplify the answer. I have come up with 7.5 and -7.5 but it says these answers are incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org

Is 3.7 one of the answers? Just making sure i did it right.

albinoboy said:

Homework Statement

From the set of equations below, involving the unknowns p, q, r, and t, find the values of t / r. (Use the correct number of significant figures.)

p = 7q
pr = qs
0.5pr^2 + 0.5qs^2 = 0.5qt^2

Homework Equations

~

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been working on this problem for some time now. I have tried dividing all the terms by r^2 and seting (t/r)=x just to simplify the answer. I have come up with 7.5 and -7.5 but it says these answers are incorrect.

I got an answer very quickly doing simple substitutions into the bottom equation. A hint is to see if you can determine why s=7r, and then substitute this and the first equation into the bottom equation. Then use your trick that x=t/r . It will fall out nicely if you do this.

elect_eng said:
I got an answer very quickly doing simple substitutions into the bottom equation. A hint is to see if you can determine why s=7r, and then substitute this and the first equation into the bottom equation. Then use your trick that x=t/r . It will fall out nicely if you do this.

This was a lot of help. When I got to the end I got +- (7.48331). When I inputed +- (7.5) as the answer it marked it wrong. What should the answer be if this is incorrect?

Anyone?

fine t/r or t and r?

5 variables and 3 equations. one equation is second order so that probably gives 2 variables...still not enough to solve. your answer has to be in terms of a variable

albinoboy said:
Anyone?

I got +sqrt(56) and -sqrt(56), as you did.

I guess the answer is needed to one significant figure, so maybe it should be +8 and -8.

elect_eng said:
I got +sqrt(56) and -sqrt(56), as you did.

I guess the answer is needed to one significant figure, so maybe it should be +8 and -8.

I have used up two more of my answers on:
8 and -8 it gave me this error
"Your response is within 10% of the correct value. This may be due to roundoff error, or you could have a mistake in your calculation. Carry out all intermediate results to at least four-digit accuracy to minimize roundoff error."

So I tried using four digits
7.483 and -7.483 it gave me this error
"Check the number of significant figures."

Please help!

5 variables, not enough equations.

albinoboy said:
I have used up two more of my answers on:
8 and -8 it gave me this error
"Your response is within 10% of the correct value. This may be due to roundoff error, or you could have a mistake in your calculation. Carry out all intermediate results to at least four-digit accuracy to minimize roundoff error."

So I tried using four digits
7.483 and -7.483 it gave me this error
"Check the number of significant figures."

Please help!

The answers must be +7 and -7. Perhaps you need to use the first decimal to determine the roundoff direction. That is 7.483 ~ 7.4 ~ 7.

If that turns out to be incorrect, then I'm stumped.

Last edited:

dacruick said:
5 variables, not enough equations.

He doesn't need to sove for any particular variable, but only the ratio t/r. This turns out to be possible.

ohh that's why i asked earlier if it was t and r or t/r. I just assumed that it was t and r because everyone was giving two answers.

What is the purpose of algebra?

The purpose of algebra is to use symbols and letters to represent unknown quantities in mathematical equations or problems. This allows us to solve for the value of the unknown variable and find solutions to problems.

Why is algebra important?

Algebra is important because it is the foundation for higher level math courses and is used in many fields such as science, engineering, economics, and finance. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

What are some common algebraic operations?

Some common algebraic operations include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and exponentiation. These operations can be combined to solve more complex equations.

How can I improve my algebra skills?

The best way to improve your algebra skills is through practice and repetition. Start with simpler problems and gradually work your way up to more difficult ones. You can also seek help from a tutor or use online resources and practice problems.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in algebra?

Some common mistakes to avoid in algebra include not understanding the order of operations, making sign errors, and not properly distributing or factoring in equations. It is important to check your work and be careful with calculations to avoid these mistakes.